Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Someone here recommended to me..the name escapes me dammit.Something about spotted equines...
Anyways, I was having issues with a couple of roosters who were young but they weren't fertilizing any of our eggs...this person recommended for me to get hemlock,dessicated tale of a newt(don't ask me where I got it from thank you Ebay) and scrape some cream off of a toad in mating season, two cups of water boil and reduce down to a paste and give it to my roosters at midnight on a full moon. Damn it, I'm telling you; month-and-a-half later my incubators were popping like Orville Redenbacher microwave bags.
Were you in New Orleans at the time you got this recommendation?

There's a saying here among anyone with captive animals, wild or domestic: "Stay Away from the USDA". Because, they do not like privately owned animals, especially birds, especially backyard chicken flocks. They consider backyard flocks a huge source of disease. Personally, I think it's the other way around...it's the commercial flocks living in cramped quarters that are the problem, and that's where it spreads fastest.
Their name says it all; department of agriculture. When commercial agriculture looks good the USDA looks good

Not so good news for fellow NY people: two new backyard flock detections listed in the state today are inland from the first one, both along the Hudson. Ulster and Dutchess counties.

Currently I've got bird netting and a tarp stopping birds getting in but with the perpetual snow and ice alternations I don't know that I can keep boots in the coop or use boot covers going in since I have to use crampons to get around and don't have any sort of enclosed entryway where I can change footwear. I would risk slipping and cracking my head on ice at the moment. The only wild birds around are songbirds though, so no waterfowl droppings to worry about at present.

Edit: looks like the Ulster one is actually "captive wild birds" not what I would think of as a backyard flock. Trying to read the tables ona phone this morning; easier to read it on a PC which is how I usually view it.

Last edited:
Not so good news for fellow NY people: two new backyard flock detections listed in the state today are inland from the first one, both along the Hudson. Ulster and Dutchess counties.

Currently I've got bird netting and a tarp stopping birds getting in but with the perpetual snow and ice alternations I don't know that I can keep boots in the coop or use boot covers going in since I have to use crampons to get around and don't have any sort of enclosed entryway where I can change footwear. I would risk slipping and cracking my head on ice at the moment. The only wild birds around are songbirds though, so no waterfowl droppings to worry about at present.

Edit: looks like the Ulster one is actually "captive wild birds" not what I would think of as a backyard flock. Trying to read the tables ona phone this morning; easier to read it on a PC which is how I usually view it.
Is the NY info on the same website as the rest? I thought I read somewhere that they were only reporting the first case in a state. Thank you for the info. I am watching NY info carefully.

Is the NY info on the same website as the rest? I thought I read somewhere that they were only reporting the first case in a state. Thank you for the info. I am watching NY info carefully.
I think yhey're "announcing" via their news items only the first per state, but keeping more complete data elsewhere. The data in the tables contains multiples per state, often over time too for the wild birds. This is where I noticed the new NY cases: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

Frustratingly, you cannot simply type "NY" or "New York" and view all of them together. One is listed as NY and the others are listed as New York spelled out. I imagine the wild bird cases page may have the same issue.

Anyway, these are the two new ones in NY from that page I linked.

Dutchess County, New York2/24/2022Backyard Mixed Species (non-poultry)
Ulster County, New York2/24/2022Captive Wild Birds (non-poultry)

I think yhey're "announcing" via their news items only the first per state, but keeping more complete data elsewhere. The data in the tables contains multiples per state, often over time too for the wild birds. This is where I noticed the new NY cases: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

Frustratingly, you cannot simply type "NY" or "New York" and view all of them together. One is listed as NY and the others are listed as New York spelled out. I imagine the wild bird cases page may have the same issue.

Anyway, these are the two new ones in NY from that page I linked.

Dutchess County, New York2/24/2022Backyard Mixed Species (non-poultry)
Ulster County, New York2/24/2022Captive Wild Birds (non-poultry)
Thank you very much.

Just saw this on facebook in a Pastured Poultry group. Looks like they're taking precautionary measures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-174149_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-174149_Facebook.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom