Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Ok, but this disease can kill all my birds?
Yes. It can.

That said, don't panic. While it is widespread (in that its been found in lots of states), its not pervasive (in that its only been found in a couple of places in each state) - often individual wild (mostly ducks) avians. Very few flocks have been affected thus far.

Reasonable biosecurity precautions.

Yes. It can.

That said, don't panic. While it is widespread (in that its been found in lots of states), its not pervasive (in that its only been found in a couple of places in each state) - often individual wild (mostly ducks) avians. Very few flocks have been affected thus far.

Reasonable biosecurity precautions.
Ok thank you!

https://www.ncagr.gov/avianflu/newsroom.htm

2/25/22 Update Excerpt:

“Although the number of cases of HPAI in wild waterfowl is unchanged in North Carolina this week it is not an indication that HPAI is no longer a serious threat,” said State Veterinarian Mike Martin. “USDA has focused its wild bird sampling program in the Mississippi Flyway because of the number of commercial cases in that area. Poultry owners in North Carolina were given early warning that HPAI was in our wild population due to early testing by USDA in the Atlantic Flyway. This has allowed our commercial and backyard flocks to increase their biosecurity and prepare for the threat. The threat is not yet over and poultry owners need to continue to do their part in keeping our commercial and backyard flocks HPAI free. This includes keeping birds enclosed and reporting sick birds."

Thank you.

I personally am keeping my flock enclosed for the foreseeable future.

Thank you.

I personally am keeping my flock enclosed for the foreseeable future.
We don't have anything here yet either, as far as I know, but I will be keeping my girls inside as well in their covered/enclosed run for now. I was going to start free ranging some this spring, but might have to just wait for a bit

20220226_184224.jpg

Got the first batch of greenhouses set up as our instant chicken runs. Our pasture has been flooded due to record setting rains and ice storms so this will probably be a welcome change for our flocks, avian flu or not.

Back
Top Bottom