Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
CE0AA54E-764F-402D-9C4C-ED399BB97CBE.jpeg

We’re looking into ways to fully enclose our big girls’ run on the side of caution, but they’ve been so excited to roam more with our good weather. I don’t want to risk them though

I've never even properly free-ranged my chickens and yet this is basically where we're at now that I've stepped up blocking their morning escape attempts.

chicken_argument.jpg

Since I can't easily do coop boots, I'm exploring other ways to avoid tracking outside muck inside at least the more secure part of my setup. I've got a rake and scoop that lets me access basically everything to clean litter but have been having to tuck the feeder under the coop where it's a bit annoying to reach, since otherwise rain and snow blow in at annoying angles and make a mess of it. I just got a kit of those little covered feeder port things that you can put onto buckets and other containers, which should let me make a feeder that I can set just inside the door without it getting soaked. Should I need to step up the precautions I'm taking, that might let me get all the critical things done without ever stepping inside in the first place. Oh, and perhaps a low board of some sort across the inside of the door to deter running escapes...

View attachment 3009031

We’re looking into ways to fully enclose our big girls’ run on the side of caution, but they’ve been so excited to roam more with our good weather. I don’t want to risk them though
Geography has never been my strong suit, even here in the US, but isn't Utah just a tiny bit West of the Eastern Atlantic Flyway? I understand that a few birds have tested positive in areas that might be the Mississippi Flyway, but I didn't think there were any positive tests in the central Flyway

Geography has never been my strong suit, even here in the US, but isn't Utah just a tiny bit West of the Eastern Atlantic Flyway? I understand that a few birds have tested positive in areas that might be the Mississippi Flyway, but I didn't think there were any positive tests in the central Flyway
We’re in a major migratory route, especially for water fowl. Maybe that’s why? But yes, way west lol

We’re in a major migratory route, especially for water fowl. Maybe that’s why? But yes, way west lol
I was being facetious. My geography is bad, but it's not so bad that I can't find Utah on a map. Even a map without labels. I'm just surprised that Utah is shutting its borders when all the birds that have been identified as Avian Influenza positive were either in the Eastern Atlantic Flyway or possibly in the Mississippi Flyway where it overlaps the Eastern Atlantic Flyway

I was being facetious. My geography is bad, but it's not so bad that I can't find Utah on a map. Even a map without labels. I'm just surprised that Utah is shutting its borders when all the birds that have been identified as Avian Influenza positive were either in the Eastern Atlantic Flyway or possibly in the Mississippi Flyway where it overlaps the Eastern Atlantic Flyway
You’re good! I miss tone so much, yay autism 😅

Looks like USDA just added a flock size column for the commercial & backyard poultry cases.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks
These are just the top few rows with the new column but the new info is there for all of them.

County, StateDate ConfirmedFlock TypeFlock Size
Dutchess County, New York2/24/2022Backyard Mixed Species (non-poultry)2
Ulster County, New York2/24/2022Captive Wild Birds (non-poultry)65
Dubois County, Indiana2/24/2022Commercial Turkeys35,988
Kalamazoo County, Michigan2/23/2022Backyard mixed species (non-poultry)43

Looks like USDA just added a flock size column for the commercial & backyard poultry cases.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks
These are just the top few rows with the new column but the new info is there for all of them.

County, StateDate ConfirmedFlock TypeFlock Size
Dutchess County, New York2/24/2022Backyard Mixed Species (non-poultry)2
Ulster County, New York2/24/2022Captive Wild Birds (non-poultry)65
Dubois County, Indiana2/24/2022Commercial Turkeys35,988
Kalamazoo County, Michigan2/23/2022Backyard mixed species (non-poultry)43
That was kind of them.

Now if only they would stop listing "backyard mixed species" as "non-poultry", which has a tendency to create confusion. "Non-Commercial" would be a better descriptor of what they seem to be trying to indicate.

Back
Top Bottom