Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Looks like USDA just added a flock size column for the commercial & backyard poultry cases.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks
These are just the top few rows with the new column but the new info is there for all of them.

County, StateDate ConfirmedFlock TypeFlock Size
Dutchess County, New York2/24/2022Backyard Mixed Species (non-poultry)2
Ulster County, New York2/24/2022Captive Wild Birds (non-poultry)65
Dubois County, Indiana2/24/2022Commercial Turkeys35,988
Kalamazoo County, Michigan2/23/2022Backyard mixed species (non-poultry)43
Nothing since the 24th? Or not listed yet?

Anyone watch the Penn State Zoom? I thought it was extremely informative.
It was indeed. One of my bigger takeaways was that the ducks carrying it can be asymptomatic. I had been thinking there must surely be ducks dropping dead from it all over the place in the wild as it's spreading but I guess not. I took notes through the whole thing but it's kind of overwhelmed my brain at this point; will have to go back over them tomorrow.

It was indeed. One of my bigger takeaways was that the ducks carrying it can be asymptomatic. I had been thinking there must surely be ducks dropping dead from it all over the place in the wild as it's spreading but I guess not. I took notes through the whole thing but it's kind of overwhelmed my brain at this point; will have to go back over them tomorrow.
Agreed. I was surprised to hear that as well. I am glad they said they will have the video available by the end of the week so I can rewatch the parts that went too fast.

Last edited:
Just went over my notes from the PennState webinar again and wanted to add in a few more things that were said in it that I don't think have been mentioned in other forms in this thread already (at least not that I recall):
  • People with affected flocks have reported a sudden decrease in water consumption 24h before the deaths started. That stood out to me because it wasn't really noted in a lot of the other symptom lists I read.
  • If you can't do a tarp or other solid roof, netting over the top is still better than nothing since the netting still stops wild birds from getting inside and interacting more directly.
  • In mixed flocks, separate the waterfowl from the chickens, turkeys, etc.
  • Wild bird feeders for songbirds and the like are not supposed to be a huge risk if placed away from the coop, just use good hygiene practices with them: use different boots, wash hands, etc.

Back
Top Bottom