Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I'm 14 minutes from where the hawk in Wake County NC was found on March 4. It's not been on the news or anywhere except the aphis list. Contacted NPIP today and they didn't even know about it! Not sure how they expect to keep flocks safe when they don't even have a communication pathway for notifying the backyard authorities. Sigh. Our birds are under roofs and behind tarps.
I have a dedicated pair of shoes for each area, kept right inside the door of the run. I step out of my farm boots and in to the coop Crocs for each area. If you use a foot bath, keep a brush by it. You have to remove all the dirt, since the virus could be picked up in a clump. If the clumps falls off in there and the bleach didn't get to the middle, that's a problem. Then you need to step directly into the clean area.
wow talk about caution

I thought of this thread when I received a Gmail from Harbor Freight recently. Irregardless of contagious avian diseases, I have a good use for these when I don't want to risk stepping in poop while inside coops wearing my "good shoes." $9.99 for 50pr seems like a good price.
https://www.harborfreight.com/work-bootshoe-covers-50-pk-58664.html

Love Harbor Freight!

Contacted NPIP today and they didn't even know about it!

On an unrelated note, I haven't been able to find info online about NPIP in North Carolina. How do I find out what's involved?

The NPIP link on that page is dead and there's no contact info other than the generic "contact us" link.

I searched all through the NC Ag. Dept. info on their website and with "NC NPIP" and "North Carolina NPIP" in my search engine and came up blank on the former and generic on the latter.

You'd think that, as important as this is, someone would have a webpage that simply said, "This is what is required: _____" and "This is the email/This is the form to fill out".

The NPIP link on that page is dead and there's no contact info other than the generic "contact us" link.

I searched all through the NC Ag. Dept. info on their website and with "NC NPIP" and "North Carolina NPIP" in my search engine and came up blank on the former and generic on the latter.

You'd think that, as important as this is, someone would have a webpage that simply said, "This is what is required: _____" and "This is the email/This is the form to fill out".
I meant contact the Dept directly - and yeah, FL is pretty sad in lots of ways, but damn, your States website looks like itr was coded by hand in the early 1990s, and not updated in a decade. I am so so sorry.

I meant contact the Dept directly - and yeah, FL is pretty sad in lots of ways, but damn, your States website looks like itr was coded by hand in the early 1990s, and not updated in a decade. I am so so sorry.

It actually used to be better and has fallen off. :(

For those who have Facebook: an interesting thread in Pastured Poultry group.

A guy near a turkey farm in Indiana that tested positive. His chickens tested negative, but he is still under quarantine and not allowed to sell eggs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-210745_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-210745_Photos.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom