Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Even if it at least keeps the sparrows out? Poop would still fall through but at least they wouldn't be directly coming in contact with the birds? I was looking at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/DGCUS-Netting-Poultry-Protect-Plants/dp/B09MW1TCD2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1DWY53M31CL4W&keywords=50x50+fine+mesh+netting&qid=1648060710&sprefix=50x50+fine+mesh+netting,aps,106&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
I think that is much better than nothing. What about shade cloth? Could you get some of that and cover the area with it?

I looked at something similar. My pen is a weird shape though, and is pretty big.
You can see how it's constructed here.
View attachment 3035080View attachment 3035081
Good luck! If I had dead birds all around, I'd cover my run. If that isn't feasible, you could add a pop door to the back wall of your coop and add a temporary space/run for them to access. Bird netting is not going to be much, if any, help in this case.

I looked at something similar. My pen is a weird shape though, and is pretty big.
You can see how it's constructed here.
View attachment 3035080View attachment 3035081
Just throwing some coop run cover suggestions out there…Tarps, plastic window sheeting/waterproof shower curtain material, plastic or polyurethane sheet panels, sheet metal, corrugated sheet metal, greenhouse, tent, canopy, etc.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I use a fine netting to cover it? Will that help at all or is it also pointless? There are sparrows in my pen like crazy everyday.
If the sparrows go into your pen, they probably poop while they are in there.

If you keep the sparrows out, they may still poop when flying over, but you will probably get less sparrow poop in there (because the sparrows will be hanging out somewhere else, and doing their pooping there instead.) Whether this will actually keep your flock from getting sick would depend on whether any droppings from sick birds come in anyway, and I have no way to tell about that.

I cannot say whether netting would be helpful enough to be worth the money and effort. (Although if it keeps sparrows out of the chicken food, the food savings might help pay for it.)

20220323_113258.jpg

Ugh! A goose and a Mallard hen are both sitting on nests on the island in my pond. The Gander pictured keeps other geese from hanging out for any amount of time but the drakes keep showing up. These 5 have been here for 2 days now and come running to me whenever they see me almost like they're tame. I feed the geese off to the side of my yard in hopes of keeping them from congregating where we walk. 🤦🏻‍♀️ @MGG You and your amazing flock will be in my thoughts and prayers ❤️

Back
Top Bottom