Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Bird flu made it onto the NBC evening news. They stressed that it is HIGHLY unlikely to spread to humans. They also said it is likely to increase the cost of chicken and eggs at the store.
I noticed this last night as well. I imagine there is a little fear of disruption post Covid. If people thought another crazy new virus would spread human to human the economy would get turbulent again.

Bird flu has been reported here in SW MO. This Joplin poultry swap, closed for 2 yrs due to Covid, was set to finally open next month....
0FE0FB75-1B9D-4785-823B-628E3A655E4F.jpeg
For this reason I am not hatching any new chicks this year, I have sold extras previously at the area swaps.

Bird flu has been reported here in SW MO. This Joplin poultry swap, closed for 2 yrs due to Covid, was set to finally open next month....
View attachment 3035896
For this reason I am not hatching any new chicks this year, I have sold extras previously at the area swaps.
IL swaps closed too

Here in NC, the one time I have watched the news, h5n1 was reported on in the main broadcast. I know it was on the 5pm broadcast. The viewing area for ABC11 is central NC. I believe someone else has posted a link to another reporting by the local news station a while back. Maybe it's being reported on because it's been here in NC for the longest time. They did mention that it's rare for human infection. Now is the one time that I wish I had watched more TV. I hope everyone and their flocks are doing well and hanging in there ❤️

Here in NC, the one time I have watched the news, h5n1 was reported on in the main broadcast. I know it was on the 5pm broadcast. The viewing area for ABC11 is central NC. I believe someone else has posted a link to another reporting by the local news station a while back. Maybe it's being reported on because it's been here in NC for the longest time. They did mention that it's rare for human infection. Now is the one time that I wish I had watched more TV. I hope everyone and their flocks are doing well and hanging in there ❤️
You aren't missing much. I think this thread is going to have more info relevant to poultry keepers.

The local NBC News (Winston-Salem) mentioned it briefly pretty early on. Both reports emphasized not a risk to humans. It seemed like the national report was also focusing on shortages and price increases for consumers of meat & eggs.

Quote from our local news in Joplin Mo:
“Four Missouri counties are reporting cases of bird flu — including Jasper County.
According to the Missouri Department of Agriculture 27,000 turkeys were infected and depopulated* in Jasper County. Lawrence, Bates, and Stoddard counties also had poultry infections.”

—*depopulated 🥺

Quote from our local news in Joplin Mo:
“Four Missouri counties are reporting cases of bird flu — including Jasper County.
According to the Missouri Department of Agriculture 27,000 turkeys were infected and depopulated* in Jasper County. Lawrence, Bates, and Stoddard counties also had poultry infections.”

—*depopulated 🥺
I saw a commercial layer flock a couple weeks back on the USDA cases list. Flock size was 1 million and some odd birds. Its so sad. 😔

Back
Top Bottom