Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I’m curious how long people are planning to keep their birds in flockdown? Especially those with less than ideal set ups, whose birds are in cramped quarters right now.
We have ordered a second one of those cheap pens at Amazon. Originally after snow melted were going to set up electric fencing and rotate it around a large area. Unfortunately for safety reasons they will stay under cover a bit longer. 😞

My birds are in the same area they are used to. The run was already partially covered with metal roofing and the rest covered with wire fencing. I've added a one large tarp and have another to add. Their run goes around the coop and is divided into paddocks. They will enjoy all the extra shade this summer when it's steamy hot.

So no big difference for them.

I’m curious how long people are planning to keep their birds in flockdown? Especially those with less than ideal set ups, whose birds are in cramped quarters right now.
I very rarely let my birds out of their run anyways, so keeping them in doesn't matter at all to me. Their run has a solid plastic roof on it and no wild birds can get in or poop in it. Helps that I only have three hens

Bird flu confirmed in PA, virus detected in wild bald eagle found dead, officials say

Officials say the latest bird flu has made its way to Pennsylvania.

The state game commission made the announcement Friday.

They say the bird flu, or highly pathogenic avian influenza virus, was detected in a wild bald eagle found dead in East Marlborough Township, Chester County.

Officials add that they’re waiting for lab test results from five wild hooded mergansers with suspected HPAI recovered from Kahle Lake on the Clarion and Venango county line.

Four of the birds were found dead and they say the fifth was euthanized after showing neurologic signs.

https://wjactv.com/news/local/bird-...d-in-wild-bald-eagle-found-dead-officials-say

I think this is the first report from Pennsylvania.
This is so sad. Not only are the waterfowl dying, but the raptors are getting it too. How unfortunate. 😣

I might try to predator proof a pull barn that we have if it gets closer to me. We use the back wall for wood storage, and park our tractor under the rest. Its fairly large. I'd have to wire/wall in the rest of it though, thats why I haven't gone hat far yet, its fairly tall so wouldn't be a simple project. The BC cases are a huge concern to my flock. Especially now that raptors, vultures etc are carrying it. We don't have high waterfowl traffic here, but definitely get raptors.

A VERY informative study about infection and transmission from wild to domestic birds. I encourage you to read the whole abstract.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7690888/

Thank you for sharing that! An interesting read indeed.

Worth note on seagulls:

"Gulls are in the order Charadriiformes in the family Laridae. These birds are considered major reservoir hosts of avian IAVs [2,37], especially of H13 and H16 viruses [38]. Large-scale surveillance of gulls has shown that infection prevalence can top 50% in many gull populations [38,39,40]."

I don't think Seagulls have been mentioned specifically in any of the other things really where I've read/heard carriers aside from waterfowl discussed - which usually meant just duck/geese/swans. Some places also said shorebirds so maybe seagulls would be lumped in with that, but I'm still surprised I haven't seen them called out specifically as a risk elsewhere given how aggressive they can be about getting into stuff, which would surely be more of an actual transmission risk to poultry than something like a sanderling.

Thank you for sharing that! An interesting read indeed.

Worth note on seagulls:

"Gulls are in the order Charadriiformes in the family Laridae. These birds are considered major reservoir hosts of avian IAVs [2,37], especially of H13 and H16 viruses [38]. Large-scale surveillance of gulls has shown that infection prevalence can top 50% in many gull populations [38,39,40]."

I don't think Seagulls have been mentioned specifically in any of the other things really where I've read/heard carriers aside from waterfowl discussed - which usually meant just duck/geese/swans. Some places also said shorebirds so maybe seagulls would be lumped in with that, but I'm still surprised I haven't seen them called out specifically as a risk elsewhere given how aggressive they can be about getting into stuff, which would surely be more of an actual transmission risk to poultry than something like a sanderling.
We were out driving and pulled over to a vacant lot to check for a nearby business address to get directions, and there were a bunch of seagulls around, and I freaked and made DH drive away. There was poop all over. Needless to say he was not allowed to get out and throw out the trash at that garbage can. Scary stuff.

Back
Top Bottom