Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Does anyone know what the transmission rate is? Here in NY we had a whole month between detections from one county to the last. I'm wondering if that is because it takes the birds that long to travel or if it was transmitted by humans.

So, if an infected bird enters a state on say April 1 how long does it take for that infection to get 100 miles north, 200 miles north, etc. Or is it really dependent on:
Type of bird
Biosecurity
Human intervention
Size of flock

And if there is no real way of determining rate, do we keep our birds locked down for 1 month, 2 months or longer? I bought a large farm so I could free range. Not keep 50 birds in a 30 x 10 enclosure forever.

North Carolina Update since I see some folks here from there.
3 counties under testing now due to one flock in one county having an instance of AI.
They killed the birds by filling the barn with FOAM, good gosh...can anyone elaborate on that process here ?

AI has found in a commercial flock of turkeys in North Carolina, Johnston county.
32,100 birds killed because of it.

"Heather Overton, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Agriculture, said the Johnston County turkey operation had eight barns. Operators noticed a ***slight increase**** in bird deaths in a single barn, Overton said, leading to the testing."

They are beginning to test in 2 adjacent counties.
"Mike Martin, North Carolina’s state veterinarian, said in a statement that the state and industry are “actively testing” flocks in a 6.2-mile radius around the farm, an area that encompasses all of Johnston and parts of Sampson and Wayne counties."

One thing that concerns me , and this was covered extensively several years ago about this very topic is...the " human testers" are prob. spreading it from farm to farm themselves....this is quite possible.
If they ever show up on MY farm I will NOT let them step one damn foot in my poultry pens, they can show ME how to test and I will do it for them .
It was also said back then that the authorities also will kill all birds on farms within a certain mile radius of farm found to have a bird that tested positive ( used to be 15 miles, looks like it's 6.2 mile as of current) whether the birds on the surrounding farms test positive or not.
I HOPE that is not the case now but I do think it was several years ago.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article259946290.html

Last edited:
3 counties under testing now due to one flock in one county having an instance of AI.
They killed the birds by filling the barn with FOAM, good gosh...can anyone elaborate on that process here ?

AI has found in a commercial flock of turkeys in North Carolina, Johnston county.

"Heather Overton, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Agriculture, said the Johnston County turkey operation had eight barns. Operators noticed a ***slight increase**** in bird deaths in a single barn, Overton said, leading to the testing."

"Mike Martin, North Carolina’s state veterinarian, said in a statement that the state and industry are “actively testing” flocks in a 6.2-mile radius around the farm, an area that encompasses all of Johnston and parts of Sampson and Wayne counties."

One thing that concerns me , and this was covered extensively several years ago about this very topic is...the " human testers" are prob. spreading it from farm to farm themselves....this is quite possible.
It was also said back then that the authorities also will kill all birds on farms within a certain mile radius of farm found to have a bird that tested positive ( used to be 15 miles, looks like it's 6.2 mile as of current) whether the birds on the surrounding farms test positive or not.
I HOPE that is not the case.

they fill the barn with a foam complete with bubbles no larger than a super small size. The plan behind it is that its an easier way to mass cull by suffocating (i believe. The article i found a few weeks ago wasnt super clear). Its easier, faster and more cost efficient this way for broilers

they fill the barn with a foam complete with bubbles no larger than a super small size. The plan behind it is that its an easier way to mass cull by suffocating (i believe. The article i found a few weeks ago wasnt super clear). Its easier, faster and more cost efficient this way for broilers
That's simply awful.

If they ever show up on MY farm I will NOT let them step one damn foot in my poultry pens, they can show ME how to test and I will do it for them .
I HOPE that is not the case now but I do think it was several years ago.

Maybe this will answer some of your questions. It is specific to NC.

https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/qa-with-the-nc-state-vet-on-avian-influenza/

Also if you go to the beginning of this thread there are many links that will point you MUCH more info.

Most comes from -
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

and

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...vian-influenza/hpai-2022/2022-hpai-wild-birds

Does anyone know what the transmission rate is? Here in NY we had a whole month between detections from one county to the last. I'm wondering if that is because it takes the birds that long to travel or if it was transmitted by humans.

So, if an infected bird enters a state on say April 1 how long does it take for that infection to get 100 miles north, 200 miles north, etc. Or is it really dependent on:
Type of bird
Biosecurity
Human intervention
Size of flock

And if there is no real way of determining rate, do we keep our birds locked down for 1 month, 2 months or longer? I bought a large farm so I could free range. Not keep 50 birds in a 30 x 10 enclosure forever.
As for rate of transmission, I'd guess nobody really knows. Birds do what birds do. We can't kill all the wild birds and we wouldn't want to. So it will spread as it will.

I read many studies about different means of AI being transmitted. I've yet to read a conclusive means of any single case, only speculation. I do know that commercial poultry houses have strong biosecurity. BUT it is HUMANS that still have to carry this things out. The more humans involved, the more chance of error.

As for turkeys...from what I've read they are often allow out of the barns. I do not know if all operations allow them out but that would make biosecurity more difficult.

As for how long to keep your birds contained, that is a decision only you can make.

For me, my birds have a large enclosure with places they can get away from each other. The top has always been covered with metal roofing and wire fencing. I've recently added tarps over the wired fencing. Our land is wooded so many types of predators So there is no big change for them other that they will have even more shade this summer.

I wish you and your birds all the best and everyone else's too.

Maybe this will answer some of your questions. It is specific to NC.

https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/qa-with-the-nc-state-vet-on-avian-influenza/

Also if you go to the beginning of this thread there are many links that will point you MUCH more info.

Most comes from -
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

and

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...vian-influenza/hpai-2022/2022-hpai-wild-birds
thanks but the only question I had was about the foam, thanks JacinLarkwell for answering that one and you also for the link !
Really didn't have any other questions and I actually LEFT an aphis link here a few weeks ago to help folks find some info. there.
However, am sure your post will help others too !!

thanks but the only question I had was about the foam, thanks JacinLarkwell for answering that one ! Really didn't have any other questions and I actually LEFT an aphis link here couple few weeks ago to help folks find some info. there.
However, am sure your post will help others too !!
I don't like the foam either. :(

Back
Top Bottom