Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
@NanaK Thank you for the information! I read the (typo filled) wral article linked here last week, but this information is far more informative. It's so odd that they have the other farms listed as "pending". Thanks again! I really appreciate this
You are certainly welcome. Please alert me to anything nearby you may see or hear.

NC bird samples are first sent to Raleigh and if positive then sent to Ames, Iowa for final confirmation. I think they still cull after the first positive, though.

You are certainly welcome. Please alert me to anything nearby you may see or hear.

NC bird samples are first sent to Raleigh and if positive then sent to Ames, Iowa for final confirmation. I think they still cull after the first positive, though.
That's what I was thinking. So sad. I don't understand why they're listed as pending if they're going to cull anyway. That certainly leaves absolutely no room for testing errors and that is bothersome. I guess time is of the essence and they figure poultry is replaceable so why not. Of course this is NOT my way of thinking. Thanks again @NanaK

I would worry most about all that traffic on my property. I think they retest farms/homes in the containment area that initially test negative. That means more than one trip to your property. I hope none of us have to go through that. No one goes inside my bird's enclosure but me and DH. I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

Saw this today (from a case in Maine):

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/03...ckyard-flock-in-washington-county-xoasq1i29i/

Found it interesting that they told the flock owner not to go into her barn where she had her chickens in for 3 weeks and not to get new birds for 150 days. Also interesting to me that she had her losses over a week and a half (some of her birds died in that period, making her alarmed). I had read in other places that the flu acts fast, like within a day and pictured all of my chickens dropping dead in short order, not over a week+ and even then for her it was only 4 out of 18.

Sorry if this is info you guys already covered, didn't remember seeing it here so sharing.

Does anyone know what the transmission rate is? Here in NY we had a whole month between detections from one county to the last. I'm wondering if that is because it takes the birds that long to travel or if it was transmitted by humans.

So, if an infected bird enters a state on say April 1 how long does it take for that infection to get 100 miles north, 200 miles north, etc. Or is it really dependent on:
Type of bird
Biosecurity
Human intervention
Size of flock

And if there is no real way of determining rate, do we keep our birds locked down for 1 month, 2 months or longer? I bought a large farm so I could free range. Not keep 50 birds in a 30 x 10 enclosure forever.
JMO but I am in rural Georgia and am not locking my birds up. We don't have waterfowl visiting and I don't think the risk of transmission from song birds or finches is very high at all. Plus some states report a lot more in wild bird populations whereas AL only reported 1 case. That surely has to do with the number of wild birds being sent for testing.

As far as how long this will last, I would expect for months since the geese and other waterfowl are breeding right now in large colonies.

Back
Top Bottom