Avian influenza found in South Carolina

That is really bizarre.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe while processing, something didn't look right inside? But still - to go as far as requesting a necropsy on a hunted wild bird seems odd.
I believe most wild waterfowl now survive H5N1 just fine (or soon will if they don't already). Turning in the liver of game ducks would probably be enough for the state to test for a previous infection.

Article says only "heavily contaminated" soils spread the virus. Keep in mind they are probably doing this in a lab with 2 sq ft of soil so "heavily contaminated" would probably represent WAY more than you will get in an open grassy field exposed to sun and heat with a few stray poops.

Does your place have wild duck poo all over? Cause if so that would be a game changer. My netted pen and rural yard only gets the odd finch or cardinal coming in to snag some leftover scratch (and yes mine still free range like normal).
Yes, but the soils that they used for testing, including sand typical of the areas around the rice patties, and "builders" sand (construction sand) are radically different in quality then GA clays and similar soils.

My place has ducks - I have Pekins. and a (very) small pond - more a glorified pool. I'm surrounded by swamps 1/2 mile, a mile, 3 miles away, though my place is 80 - 120' in elevation above them. and I free range - its impractical to try and cover even my run (which also includes goats).

Fortunately, for all that its high consequence, its very low infection risk, and my flock isn't worth that much. Its a risk I've weighed and determined I can take it. I just can't take confidence from that study, because dry sands don't describe my soils here. If I still lived in Daytona, Tampa, or better, Ocala with its sugar sands, I'd find those results very comforting. That, and the knowledge that HPAI lasts less than a week at sustained temps over mid 70s, since our humidity keeps us from cooling off overnight the way large swaths of the nation do.

Just watched a video on Youtube posted a few days ago about a farm in Upstate New York who had to have the flock of 400, those still living, culled due to the virus.
He explained and took video how they came in to do it. It's heartbreaking to watch.

He was told not to contact the people he sold birds and eggs to but to give them the info so they could contact them.

That is really bizarre.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe while processing, something didn't look right inside? But still - to go as far as requesting a necropsy on a hunted wild bird seems odd.
They regularly check for AI and have for years now. This is one of the ways they procure samples at the beginning of migration

Back
Top Bottom