Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I agree, that would be a big question. I just don't know what they are actually doing. And they might be doing it differently for small flocks vs. big commercial ones. (I would expect the big commercial ones do need a special crew for the culling, but the owner is not likely to try "rehoming" them in the hours that takes to arrange.)

A common thread in the State laws I've read would allow the State to cull, without compensation, the entire flock to which even a single bird under quarantine was "re-homed". Then, I guess they can let the neighbors deal with the scofflaw. A couple places assert the legal authority to hand the quarantine breaker a bill for the effort...

I have not watched any videos of state culls but I heard they use foam. They wouldn't want owners to cull the birds themselves due to the infinitesimal chance of it causing an infection in the human.
Have you all watched the YouTube video that @Molpet posted earlier in this thread? Sad but very informative. I think that they use foam for the huge commercial poultry houses where everything is automated and it’s impractical to dispatch individual birds. Most USDA efforts for AI and HPAI are directed towards preserving the multibillion dollar US commercial poultry industry. In the small farm video, it looks like they used CO2 euthanasia.

There are several reasons to report the disease to your state vet: 1) compensation for lost birds, 2) prevent having your flock be a source of infection for someone else’s flock or a commercial flock, 3) although rare, there is real concern about avian influenza mutating into a disease that’s more transmissible among people. The people who have died from AI were primarily those caring for the infected flock. The more mixing of people and birds infected with AI, the more likely that jump to greater transmissibility in people is to occur. An avian flu mutant that is highly contagious in people would have serious public health consequences.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h5n1-threat.htm

Just watched a video on Youtube posted a few days ago about a farm in Upstate New York who had to have the flock of 400, those still living, culled due to the virus.
I just looked this up and watched. I knew that's how the large commercial facilities were being handled, but I've also heard and read repeatedly that they won't kill birds that don't test positive. According to that video, they do kill everything, separate area/flock or not, and testing positive or not. If they are trying to encourage people to report cases, I have to say that not permitting quarantine of separated flocks that test negative is certainly not going to help. Kind of ticked at Penn State now because they were one of the sources that gave answers making it sound like they wouldn't just come in and kill everything like that.

Even if it at least keeps the sparrows out? Poop would still fall through but at least they wouldn't be directly coming in contact with the birds? I was looking at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/DGCUS-Netting-Poultry-Protect-Plants/dp/B09MW1TCD2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1DWY53M31CL4W&keywords=50x50+fine+mesh+netting&qid=1648060710&sprefix=50x50+fine+mesh+netting,aps,106&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
I'm just catching up with this thread, so came across yours. Some are putting up tarps. I don't know what your set up is, bird netting won't help. The new area we're building will have 1/2" hardcloth top to bottom, and I'm thinking about running door/window screen over the top to keep out the droppings. They pick up and atleast taste just about anything while pecking around.

I'm just catching up with this thread, so came across yours. Some are putting up tarps. I don't know what your set up is, bird netting won't help. The new area we're building will have 1/2" hardcloth top to bottom, and I'm thinking about running door/window screen over the top to keep out the droppings. They pick up and atleast taste just about anything while pecking around.
We are just finishing the build on a sparrow trap actually. My father has been helping and it's coming along really nice. Only cost about $150 to build. Hopefully we can cut down on the population a lot that way.

Oh wow, South Carolina?!?! I'm in Ga. That's really close!!
Welcome to BYC! There have already been a number of cases in Georgia. It's in almost every state right now.
Screenshot_20220405-173935.png

Back
Top Bottom