Avian influenza found in South Carolina

APHIS statement from Feb 22:

"...has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in a non-commercial backyard flock (non-poultry) in Suffolk County, New York." (Italics mine.)

"USDA will report these findings to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) as well as international trading partners. USDA also continues to communicate with trading partners to encourage adherence to OIE standards and minimize trade impacts. OIE trade guidelines call on member countries to not impose bans on the international trade of poultry commodities in response to such notifications in non-poultry." (Bold theirs.)

So I've taken it to mean non-commercial flocks of chickens, turkeys, geese, etc., even though we call them poultry. Meaning, our backyard flocks. They don't want other countries to refuse our exports if my flock of 7 chickens has HPAI.

In this case, poultry refers to commercial poultry, destined for the commercial human food chain in one form or another. So "non-poultry" should probably say, "non-commercial poultry," as that's what we think it means. This was hashed over a lot in the beginning pages of this thread.
I know it's been hashed out several times, but it was brought up again by someone quoting a definition of poultry. So I was pointing out an example of why we know that aphis is using the word differently.

I know it's been hashed out several times, but it was brought up again by someone quoting a definition of poultry. So I was pointing out an example of why we know that aphis is using the word differently.
It's perhaps also worth noting that the USGS map of cases uses the more sensible definition.
https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nwhc/s...ogenic-avian-influenza-north-america-20212022
The categories they are using to represent the USDA data are a bit different:
  • commercial poultry
  • non-commercial poultry, backyard flock (this would be the weird "non-poultry" category on the USDA pages)
  • wild birds

That map is also pretty up to date; looks like it was last updated yesterday.
usgs_05apr2022.png

It's perhaps also worth noting that the USGS map of cases uses the more sensible definition.
https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nwhc/s...ogenic-avian-influenza-north-america-20212022
The categories they are using to represent the USDA data are a bit different:
  • commercial poultry
  • non-commercial poultry, backyard flock (this would be the weird "non-poultry" category on the USDA pages)
  • wild birds

That map is also pretty up to date; looks like it was last updated yesterday.
View attachment 3052011
Great resource!

I thought I remembered reading when cases showed up in backyard flocks in January 2022, that commercial farms have improved their bio-security since the 2015 outbreak, and so would probably not be as severely affected. Yet here we are, with commercial farms increasingly testing positive, and birds testng positive in states for the very first time. (Including my state) My flocks are currently still out enjoying the new spring grass and bugs, but I'm watching developments even more closely.than before.

That video of the man losing his entire flock was very hard to watch. (Understatement) He remained mostly stoic and unemotional throughout the entire "depopulation" process. But the video ended soon after all the chickens and ducks were killed, the authorities had left, and he was walking around some of the empty pens. I cannot imagine the range emotions he may have experienced once the deathly quiet and permanence of the situation set in. He said he hoped his video will save the lives of other birds, by encouraging their keepers to keep them under cover if AI is found in their area. The video certainly made an impression on me.

Does anyone know where you would send samples if you had a death you weren't sure about? Would it just be the same place as a regular necropsy or is there a specific place to send them for now?
In the US, they should be submitted to your state diagnostic lab. Most have programs that allow free poultry necropsies in exchange for avian influenza testing, as part of our National AI surveillance system. Talk with the lab first, but it’s best to submit the whole carcass that has been stored cold but not frozen. I have wrapped bird carcasses in plastic trash bags and kept in my refrigerator before submitting, but if AI was suspected I’d keep the carcass cool but well away from food, like in a plastic or disposable cooler.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Does anyone know where you would send samples if you had a death you weren't sure about? Would it just be the same place as a regular necropsy or is there a specific place to send them for now?
I read a recent thread where the owner had some deaths in her flock, and inquired to her state lab about sending a carcass in to be tested for Mareks. Because she mentioned multiple deaths, state authorities came right out to her property to test for AI. (I think this was in New York state.) They gave her no choice, and only allowed a test for Marek's After the AI test came back negative. (Which it did.) Point is, it's possible you may have no choice re sending a bird to be tested for AI; "they" may insist on coming to you.

I thought I remembered reading when cases showed up in backyard flocks in January 2022, that commercial farms have improved their bio-security since the 2015 outbreak, and so would probably not be as severely affected. Yet here we are, with commercial farms increasingly testing positive, and birds testng positive in states for the very first time. (Including my state) My flocks are currently still out enjoying the new spring grass and bugs, but I'm watching developments even more closely.than before.

That video of the man losing his entire flock was very hard to watch. (Understatement) He remained mostly stoic and unemotional throughout the entire "depopulation" process. But the video ended soon after all the chickens and ducks were killed, the authorities had left, and he was walking around some of the empty pens. I cannot imagine the range emotions he may have experienced once the deathly quiet and permanence of the situation set in. He said he hoped his video will save the lives of other birds, by encouraging their keepers to keep them under cover if AI is found in their area. The video certainly made an impression on me.
Same here... can't even imagine 😢

Back
Top Bottom