Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Sounds smart. Fact is if you sold chicks/birds to someone and then later they had an AI outbreak (from another source) you would likely be on the state's radar and get a visit which would put your flock in danger. The less documented contact we have with others the better.

There are probably plenty of chickens in backyard flocks that have antibodies from exposure yet never got sick. If the state tested them it would likely cause a problem.
exactly .

Part of Tyson's problem was selecting the wrong line of male birds last year, their fertility rates were down. Not so much that we backyard people would notice, but times millions of birds, it was affecting them - they had to ecure another line of males for their breeding.

I'm unaware of any specific disease problem (apart from COVID) they might have suffered in addition.

Processing the birds once full size was COVID related, and affected most everyone in the business.
Did a brief search to see if I found anything, as you stated, bad roosters, covid, production supply (paper,foil, etc) & staff,trucking issues. This article talks about water issues & intended down trend in production. Aka just more depressing news. https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...us-broiler-production-set-to-decrease-in-2022

Part of Tyson's problem was selecting the wrong line of male birds last year, their fertility rates were down. Not so much that we backyard people would notice, but times millions of birds, it was affecting them - they had to ecure another line of males for their breeding.

I'm unaware of any specific disease problem (apart from COVID) they might have suffered in addition.

Processing the birds once full size was COVID related, and affected most everyone in the business.
This was it - I knew it had been awhile back - last July http://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-al...dy-eat-chicken-products-due-possible-listeria

Screenshot_20220407-112943_Chrome.jpg

Approx 9 million pounds, all from the same factory/processing plant, over a period of months, resulting in two confirmed cases, and the vast majority (assumedly) consumed before the recall issued.

Yes, its a lot of chicken, but I doubt it contributed to much shortage.

Even so, excellent memory. I don't follow recalls much anymorew, we buy little processed pre-prepared foods anymore. We even make our own frozen, breaded "chicken cordon blue" for quick dinners later.

Like these, but home made -
1649345711484.png

Approx 9 million pounds, all from the same factory/processing plant, over a period of months, resulting in two confirmed cases, and the vast majority (assumedly) consumed before the recall issued.

Yes, its a lot of chicken, but I doubt it contributed to much shortage.

Even so, excellent memory. I don't follow recalls much anymorew, we buy little processed pre-prepared foods anymore. We even make our own frozen, breaded "chicken cordon blue" for quick dinners later.

Like these, but home made -
View attachment 3053155
Nor do I. For that matter we don't eat a lot of chicken, period, but buy a lot because I make our dogs' food, so I notice when there are purchase limits of 2, or none at all.

Okay I am hearing reports from people I know that chick sales are still going on in NC stores. There are multiple articles AND a statement on the NC Ag .gov website saying "public sales are suspended from April 5th to May 1st" but now I wonder how they define a "public sale".

I try hard to verify info (or state if it is unverified) before posting so if it turns out the NC chick sales thing is not accurate I want to be the first to mention it. Or maybe all stores have not been notified. Here is a statement on the NC .gov website:
1649347172445.png

Last edited:
https://www.witn.com/2022/04/05/state-suspends-poultry-shows-public-sales-over-avian-flu-concerns/
Okay I am hearing reports from people I know that chick sales are still going on in NC stores. There are multiple articles AND a statement on the NC Ag .gov website saying "public sales are suspended from April 5th to May 1st" but now I wonder how they define a "public sale".

I try hard to verify info (or state if it is unverified) before posting so if it turns out the NC chick sales thing is not accurate I want to be the first to mention it. Or maybe all stores have not been notified. Here is a statement on the NC .gov website:
View attachment 3053201
https://www.witn.com/2022/04/05/state-suspends-poultry-shows-public-sales-over-avian-flu-concerns/

View attachment 3053201
I think public sales is the term used for auctions. TSC would be a retail sale not a public sale.
I am not 100% sure but think that may be the case.

Back
Top Bottom