Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I was wondering how to protect the site of a new run. A few tiny birds were in my yard today, walking in the area where we will begin run construction in a few weeks. Can I disinfect it? Anything I should do on the grass? I could cover it in tarp until then but I don’t want to kill the grass that’s there…ideas?
Hope for persistently high temperatures. That's it. Understand that HPAI, like a city sized meteor striking the planet, or winning a multi-state lottery is a low likelihood, high consequence event. Humans are NOT well equipped to value those sorts of occurances.

As efforts to mitigate, you can look to why the little birds are there. I assume you have already removed all bird feeders, squirrel feeders, etc from the area of your run and surrounds. If you have a small flower or other forb in bloom right now that they are feeding on in that location, mow it down - or yes, even kill it. Don't roof the area (and thereby lower average temp at the ground) until the last possible moment, and after you already have your walls up.

The basics.

Hope for persistently high temperatures. That's it. Understand that HPAI, like a city sized meteor striking the planet, or winning a multi-state lottery is a low likelihood, high consequence event. Humans are NOT well equipped to value those sorts of occurances.

As efforts to mitigate, you can look to why the little birds are there. I assume you have already removed all bird feeders, squirrel feeders, etc from the area of your run and surrounds. If you have a small flower or other forb in bloom right now that they are feeding on in that location, mow it down - or yes, even kill it. Don't roof the area (and thereby lower average temp at the ground) until the last possible moment, and after you already have your walls up.

The basics.
Thanks. They nest on our front porch every year, just a momma and daddy. Probably walking around the backyard looking for nest materials I would guess. Unfortunately for them my feeders won’t be out this year…we won’t have persistently high temps ever in NY, so I guess it is what it is.

Thanks. They nest on our front porch every year, just a momma and daddy. Probably walking around the backyard looking for nest materials I would guess. Unfortunately for them my feeders won’t be out this year…we won’t have persistently high temps ever in NY, so I guess it is what it is.
then if your property is large enough, you might consider attracting them to an area far from your intended coop and run with a feeder and a particular seed choice. at the risk of attracting even more birds, of course...

The expression "D___ed if you do, D___ed if you don't." comes to mind...

They told me I could clean the coop but that was it
UC Davies? You are in Cali? I don't believe that AI has been reported there this year. Still with the current situation, I'm surprised they didn't react differently but who knows? I think I would clean up the coop as I would for any death involving more than one bird in a single occurrence. Just to be safe.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs

I was wondering how to protect the site of a new run. A few tiny birds were in my yard today, walking in the area where we will begin run construction in a few weeks. Can I disinfect it? Anything I should do on the grass? I could cover it in tarp until then but I don’t want to kill the grass that’s there…ideas?
You could use clear plastic (like a greenhouse) to raise the temperature a bit.
You do not want to cook the grass, but someone linked a study showing that AI dies faster at higher temperatures-- so raising the temperature a few degrees might make a difference of several days in the time that takes.

Other than that, you could look at the estimated time to die off in whatever temperature, make a pessimistic guess (lowest temperature available to you, longest time for that temperature), and do not let your birds in the new run until that much time passes.

Last edited:
If you want to know your legal rights in the event state inspectors show up at your door read this article. Apparently they usually must get a warrant even on farms when they are denied entrance even to inspect for disease outbreaks. To get a warrant they typically have to show "evidence" that it is justified. I am betting 95% of backyard flock owners let them in immediately because they think they have no choice.

For those that do not want their flocks culled, buying time could make a huge difference. I believe the snap tests used by state inspectors will start showing negative results in 10-14 days after exposure.

Legal article citing lots of court cases:
https://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/handle/1903/16310/Farm Entry.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Also a good idea to join Farm To Consumer Legal Defense Fund. They help defend and advise in situations like this.

https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/

You do not want to cook the grass, but someone linked a study showing that AI dies faster at higher temperatures-- so raising the temperature a few degrees might make a difference of several days in the time that takes.

Other than that, you could look at the estimated time to die off in whatever temperature, make a pessimistic guess (lowest temperature available to you, longest time for that temperature), and do not let you birds in the new run until that much time passes.
That is a great idea my friend. Thank you.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I believe this is called "solarizing"; we did it to a decently-sized piece of our land to KO various weed, grass, and other plants so we could turn it into a pollinator meadow.

Pray for sunlight and lots of it!

Back
Top Bottom