Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I am sad.

I just mowed the lawn for the first time this year and my birds would have LOVED the mix of first spring green stuff with the last of the shed pine straw and dead leaves to dig through and eat.

But after so carefully protecting them from contact with wild birds I can't bring all the wild bird poop from the entire lawn into the coop.

So no green stuff for the birds today. :(

HPAI isn't transmitted inside the egg,

they either produce their own or buy eggs in bulk, and eggs are excluded as a transmission vector by a host of factors.
I came acoss this:

Transmission of an H5N8-Subtype Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus from Infected Hens to Laid Eggs

... and, there is also reference this:

Effects of an H7 Highly Pathogenic and Related Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus on Chicken Egg Production, Viability, and Virus Contamination of Egg Contents and Surfaces

OK, I've already resigned myself to not acquiring new livestock. As I understand this, we who are anal retentitive shouldn't be buying hatching eggs either unless the sellers NPIP blood sample just walked out the door. True?

I came acoss this:

Transmission of an H5N8-Subtype Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus from Infected Hens to Laid Eggs

Effects of an H7 Highly Pathogenic and Related Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus on Chicken Egg Production, Viability, and Virus Contamination of Egg Contents and Surfaces

OK, I've already resigned myself to not acquiring new livestock. As I understand this, we who are anal retentitive shouldn't be buying hatching eggs either unless the sellers NPIP blood sample just walked out the door. True?
This won’t load for me. On app or web?

I am sad.

I just mowed the lawn for the first time this year and my birds would have LOVED the mix of first spring green stuff with the last of the shed pine straw and dead leaves to dig through and eat.

But after so carefully protecting them from contact with wild birds I can't bring all the wild bird poop from the entire lawn into the coop.

My birds used to love grass clipping day too. I've been told mowed grass can contribute to compacted crops sadly so we've quit giving it to them. Good thinking that it could also contain wild bird droppings. I'm contemplating sprouting some oat trays since they're locked up and the space they have is turning bare. Some green would do them good.

I am sad.

I hear ya
I had to really fight the urge to grab weeds as I would go to the coop before our yard was cut first time!

This won’t load for me. On app or web?

I think this is it: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/273...wed here that an,4 days postinoculation (dpi).

The full text appears to be behind a paywall but this is the abstract:
"We showed here that an H5N8-subtype highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (HPAIV) was transmitted to both the internal contents and shells of eggs laid by white leghorn hens experimentally infected with the virus. Seven of eight HPAIV-infected hens laid eggs until 4 days postinoculation (dpi). The mean number of eggs laid per head daily decreased significantly from 0.58 before inoculation to 0.18 after viral inoculation. The virus was detected in the eggs laid by three of the seven hens. Viral transmission was detectable beginning on 3 dpi, and virus titers in tracheal and cloacal swabs from the hens that laid the contaminated eggs exceeded 2.9 log10 EID50. The level of viral replication and its timing when virus replicates enough to be detected in oviduct after virus inoculation appear to be key factors in the transmission of H5N8 HPAIV from infected hens to laid eggs."

I came acoss this:

I can't get the first to load, and hey I'm on my cell phone so I can't use a functional search engine. From the title of the second one I know what it says. Yes Avian Influenza can appear in contamination on the surface of an egg. However other studies we've already linked show that Avian Influenza is destroyed after about three days at 100°. Last I checked we incubate our eggs for about 3 weeks at near 100°. Am I on the surface destroyed. This is what Murray McMurray is doing to preserve some lines from the farm where AI was found. Birds are being destroyed, but their eggs are being hatched to preserve the genetics.

I think this is it: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27309286/#:~:text=We showed here that an,4 days postinoculation (dpi).

The full text appears to be behind a paywall but this is the abstract:
"We showed here that an H5N8-subtype highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (HPAIV) was transmitted to both the internal contents and shells of eggs laid by white leghorn hens experimentally infected with the virus. Seven of eight HPAIV-infected hens laid eggs until 4 days postinoculation (dpi). The mean number of eggs laid per head daily decreased significantly from 0.58 before inoculation to 0.18 after viral inoculation. The virus was detected in the eggs laid by three of the seven hens. Viral transmission was detectable beginning on 3 dpi, and virus titers in tracheal and cloacal swabs from the hens that laid the contaminated eggs exceeded 2.9 log10 EID50. The level of viral replication and its timing when virus replicates enough to be detected in oviduct after virus inoculation appear to be key factors in the transmission of H5N8 HPAIV from infected hens to laid eggs."
Thank you for posting this.
I can't get the first to load, and hey I'm on my cell phone so I can't use a functional search engine. From the title of the second one I know what it says. Yes Avian Influenza can appear in contamination on the surface of an egg. However other studies we've already linked show that Avian Influenza is destroyed after about three days at 100°. Last I checked we incubate our eggs for about 3 weeks at near 100°. Am I on the surface destroyed. This is what Murray McMurray is doing to preserve some lines from the farm where AI was found. Birds are being destroyed, but their eggs are being hatched to preserve the genetics.
That was my understanding as well. Still planning 2 hatches before the end of June. Thank goodness for this or else Mcamurray would have lost half of their lines…would have made a terrible tragedy much worse.

Well, we lost two birds Friday and Saturday. One of them was one of my first 6 chickens, the other a feisty young jerk of a cockerel. I can count on one hand the other unexplained losses we've had since we got our first birds. They had no blue marks or signs of anything wrong on them and I almost suspect it's from the stress of being locked in the run rather than running free all day. Hopefully, this doesn't go on much longer as I don't think it's good for the health of the birds overall to be cooped up as they are.

My greenhouse chickens are doing better. I may set up a few more of them and thin the numbers in my main run. I had hoped to be done using the greenhouses by May 1 as they will start getting too warm, even with our modifications, I think. Especially the guineas really would be better off running free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom