Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Thank you for posting this.

That was my understanding as well. Still planning 2 hatches before the end of June. Thank goodness for this or else Mcamurray would have lost half of their lines…would have made a terrible tragedy much worse.
Thank you for the link. Accepting the study claims as true, I'm still not worried. The eggs are still going to see three weeks at near 100° which should destroy any virus present. Additionally I suspect that the presence of the virus will result in a non-viable chick long before that three-week hatch date occurs. If it occurs very early in the process, the egg will likely see three or more days near 100 degrees before a candling reveals the lack of progress and the egg is disposed of. Once again, virus destroyed by heat. Now, I wouldn't recommend taking eggs from suspect chickens and licking them, but I'm fairly confident but none of us love our chickens quite that much...

Last edited:
Update on the farm that had 400 depopulated.that I posted awhile back.
Starts about 3 minutes in, 150 days before they can get more birds. Have to have the place cleaned under fed/state supervision. What they used to clean tractor that was in poultry yard at very end. Some special simple green brand from tractor supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ant-cleaner-128-oz-2810000401128?cm_vc=-10005

Ha! My TSC had gallons of that cleaner for $2 a week or so ago. It's strong, but good stuff.

My birds used to love grass clipping day too. I've been told mowed grass can contribute to compacted crops sadly so we've quit giving it to them. Good thinking that it could also contain wild bird droppings. I'm contemplating sprouting some oat trays since they're locked up and the space they have is turning bare. Some green would do them good.

I usually double-mow -- first at the highest setting and then at a lower setting so the clippings are well chopped up.

I'm done. Three weeks+ locked down and my hens are out of their minds. Every other farm in my area has their flocks free ranging. It's 72 degrees today and the grass is green. I let them out. The closest detection was:fl over 100 miles away. Fingers crossed it doesn't get any closer.
We're just about to the same point.

Back
Top Bottom