Avian influenza found in South Carolina

That's a really nice map! Not too phone friendly (at least with mine) but works great from a regular computer.
Yes someone posted it earlier in this thread and it's shown an outbreak in wild birds 50 miles from me last week, that still isn't on the USDA site.

You know with covid they talk about herd immunity. But with the avian influenza they aren't interested in that. It comes around every few years and they depopulate even the birds that are resistant. No sure how logical that is when it's spread by wild birds.
Thank you! I've been saying it all along, not on here as much, but in real life. Why kill all birds? Why kill any? If they have it, they will die anyways. If they don't get it, they are more resistant to it. Why keep the gene pool weak? Humans can't get this, other mammals seem to not get it. It's stupid to kill any birds and lowers our food supply. Think people! Scare tactics work, just sayin

Thank you! I've been saying it all along, not on here as much, but in real life. Why kill all birds? Why kill any? If they have it, they will die anyways. If they don't get it, they are more resistant to it. Why keep the gene pool weak? Humans can't get this, other mammals seem to not get it. It's stupid to kill any birds and lowers our food supply. Think people! Scare tactics work, just sayin
Actually a guy in UK got it last time it went around... but he had ducks loose in the house. Feral ones that followed him home and when they started dying he brought 20 in the house to save them.

Actually a guy in UK got it last time it went around... but he had ducks loose in the house. Feral ones that followed him home and when they started dying he brought 20 in the house to save them.
That guy is a nut. His gene pool is already weakened

Because devastating the entire commercial poultry industry to save a few birds that some people happen to be fond of is not sound policy from either an agricultural standpoint, an economic standpoint, or a public health standpoint.

My church's junior pastor is a commercial chicken farmer and he's sweating bullets.

We have pets and a hobby that *might* break even if we're lucky. His family's livelihood and the ownershhip of their land is on the line.

Because devastating the entire commercial poultry industry to save a few birds that some people happen to be fond of is not sound policy from either an agricultural standpoint, an economic standpoint, or a public health standpoint.

My church's junior pastor is a commercial chicken farmer and he's sweating bullets.

We have pets and a hobby that *might* break even if we're lucky. His family's livelihood and the ownershhip of their land is on the line.
I totally get that.
What I don't understand is why a backyard flock is a threat to him. It sounds like the wild birds particularly the water fowl and those birds that visit both the water fowl and his commercial flock are the danger.
Surely the backyard flock gets sick and dies and doesn't pass it on to anyone.
I will be the first to admit I am no expert on this, but I can't quite make sense of it to all.

Back
Top Bottom