Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Apologies if I already asked this and am repeating myself. But do geese poop while they fly or do they wait until the land for the day?
I ask because I have geese flying over but way high up and not landing anywhere near.
I am guessing someone with experience of geese knows the answer to this!

Birds in general poop whenever they need to.

Remember the classic cartoon joke about someone looking up at a bird and getting poop in his eye?

It doesn't benefit a flying animal to hang onto weight that could have been discarded.

Lelilamom said:
I find it very suspicious that so many whole flocks are being wiped out even when no birds test positive, simply because birds nearby are getting it.

I know I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong, but flocks with “no birds test[ing] positive” haven’t been “wiped out.” Only those flocks
with tested-positive members have been depopulated. Birds nearby ( within the surveillance zones) are being *tested* but only depopulated if a flock member tests positive.

Just trying to be precise (and verify that I’m understanding correctly the process I’ve been watching) as my birds are also feeling the strain of being under plastic as the temps rise. I’m looking at adjustments since Canada geese have taken to flying directly over our setup in the past two weeks 🙄).
There was that specialty bird owner in NY whose separate and secured specialty flock did not test positive but were destroyed after his egg layers tested positive. I'm guessing the DEC did it because they figured the specialty birds would get it eventually, but I still find it suspicious that they just wiped them out without a positive test result. Especially considering the birds were completely secured and separated from all other birds.

Normally, I'm praying for another week of cool weather. Instead, I find myself hoping for a week that never drops below 70 degrees. THEN an unusually cool spell would be nice - and there hasn't been a case near me in... well, not this outbreak. As a matter of statistics, I'm at extremely low risk right now.

Already concerned about fall, if this thing survives in the wild fowl over the course of their summer feedings, and they bring it back south in 6 months or so.

There was that specialty bird owner in NY whose separate and secured specialty flock did not test positive but were destroyed after his egg layers tested positive. I'm guessing the DEC did it because they figured the specialty birds would get it eventually, but I still find it suspicious that they just wiped them out without a positive test result. Especially considering the birds were completely secured and separated from all other birds.
Because they were likely on the same property. I've got several seperate flocks on my property, but unless I changed outfits for every flock, I'd almost certainly jnfect my entire property soon if I had a positive case

Because they were likely on the same property. I've got several seperate flocks on my property, but unless I changed outfits for every flock, I'd almost certainly jnfect my entire property soon if I had a positive case
^^ this.

And, possibly a quirk of how the laws/rules are written. Unintended consequences are common. In this case, the whoever wrote it may not have thought of coops small enough that they aren't entered every day or some other factor that makes it possible for some birds to not catch it even if others in a different shelter on the property do.

Also, are we sure the others didn't catch it? I don't remember the incubation period. It isn't long but it didn't take long until it was over either.

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe. If you doubt this ask yourself why kids are wearing masks in schools for 8 hours a day when they are neither susceptible to serious complications nor easily transmissible of cv.

Just more of the same mentality that's what I'm trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom