Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Really?

I didn't hear that.

I'm sad because they have such lovely facilities.
Yes. The building needs lots of repairs due to the humidity necessary for that structure. They'll be relocating some of the birds to other parts of the zoo and others will go to other zoos. They're going to take the building down. The building has tunnels under it and I'm assuming that increases the risks of catastrophic structure damage

Yes. The building needs lots of repairs due to the humidity necessary for that structure. They'll be relocating some of the birds to other parts of the zoo and others will go to other zoos. They're going to take the building down. The building has tunnels under it and I'm assuming that increases the risks of catastrophic structure damage

That's really sad.

I hope that they can, in due time, rebuild.

In addition to the twitter post, they also have added an announcement from the today on their news list that contains a similar statement.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/news/sa_by_date/sa-2022/hpai-funding
"We encourage bird owners to work to ensure domestic birds do not come into contact with wild birds, and keep poultry confined inside during this high-risk period of migratory bird activity. We also encourage bird owners to limit traffic on and off your farm and use personal protective equipment and disinfection when caring for birds to avoid introducing HPAI. "
But again no mention of how long they expect this to last.

H7N3 avian influenza hits Mexican breeder farm​

An outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) hit a poultry breeder facility in General Cepeda, Mexico.

According to a report from the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), heavy hens in two houses at the breeder farm were showing clinical signs, including lesions consistent with the disease. Of the 74,463 susceptible birds on the premises, 543 of them died.

Tests were conducted at the National Agrifood Health, Safety and Quality Service of Mexico (SENASICA) National Laboratory, and those test results came back on April 22 and April 24, showing the hens were positive for a highly pathogenic strain of H7N3 avian influenza. According to OIE, this is a “new strain in a zone or a compartment.”

Protective measures already taken include zoning and quarantine, while the surviving birds will be stamped out and disinfection procedures will be implemented, OIE stated.

This article also states, " A vaccination campaign was immediately launched for birds in household and commercial farms in neighboring communities.

Complete article here https://www.wattagnet.com/articles/44990-h7n3-avian-influenza-hits-mexican-breeder-farm

Back
Top Bottom