Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I'm so sorry!

Our family has had some horrible vaccine reactions, but we have been fortunate that none were lost.

My granddaughter did not have a reaction to the Hib vaccine (H. influenzae serotype B). This is a very good vaccine. It saves lives!
She got sick from another strain of H. influenzae, serotype E.

Doctors and scientist found that several years after the Hib vaccine was given, cases of Hib were not as prevalent. It was preventing cases of Hib, which was good. BUT they then started seeing other strains more often.

Sometimes when you suppress one pathogen others fill the niche.

It happened in 2010 and was a very difficult time. I now choose to remember her big blue eyes and smile. She was always a very happy child. I know I will be with her again someday.

I'm sorry you have family that had reactions to shots. That can happen too.

Doctors and scientist found that several years after the Hib vaccine was given, cases of Hib were not as prevalent. It was preventing cases of Hib, which was good. BUT they then started seeing other strains more often.

Sometimes when you suppress one pathogen others fill the niche.
You're right - I think it is difficult to know what the outcome will be sometimes. We all just have to make the best decisions we can as we are able to. :hugs

I do hope an AI vaccine can be put into place for the large commercial operations, neutralizing some of the threat to the large-scale poultry production brought on by these outbreaks. They will never develop immunity, but hopefully, backyard flocks would have that possibility once the overall supply was more secure.

I also hope this is all over soon. I have begun letting my birds out on a rotating basis. They were beginning to fight and living unhappy lives. Some wild birds were found dead within 40 miles or so of me after we started doing that, but they were not a bird type we see often where we are. After we lost a couple of birds in a couple of days a few weeks back, I decided to start giving them some free time or we would likely lose some more of them to fighting and general unhappiness anyway and the ones left would be unhappy to the point it defeated my purpose in keeping backyard flocks. So we're going to limited outdoor time. Hope it's the right choice, but really won't know until we're in the clear. :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom