Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I'm posting here because this is the biggest avian flu thread I could find. Today I saw at least 3 dead hawks on the side of the road in my town. I have never seen a dead hawk on the side of the road before. There are no confirmed cases anywhere near me but somehow I have a feeling that the state isn't actively testing for it because of course they aren't... it's Missouri. Everyone here is a dimwit and doesn't take it seriously. I don't think it's a normal sight to see MULTIPLE dead raptors on the street within miles of eachother. There's no way that avian influenza doesn't have anything to do with it. My birds should be safe, they're in a covered run and I wear coop only shoes around them, but that's still worrying to me.
Did you report your findings? It's very likely all around us, but the state relies on people seeing possibly infected birds and letting them know about them.

I want to but I'm not sure exactly how. Do I call, or can I email them..? I'm just afraid I won't be much help if I can't remember which location I found them
This is the number for Missouri Dept of Agriculture Animal Health Division at (573) 751-3377. According to their site, this is the number to report in your state. It says you can also report to a local vet.

I would just give them the general location as best I can.

If those birds do have AI, other birds could possible catch it from them and continue the spread. Other raptors would be esp at risk.

This is the number for Missouri Dept of Agriculture Animal Health Division at (573) 751-3377. According to their site, this is the number to report in your state. It says you can also report to a local vet.

I would just give them the general location as best I can.

If those birds do have AI, other birds could possible catch it from them and continue the spread. Other raptors would be esp at risk.
Alright, so I contacted them the other day and they passed the information on to the Missouri department of conservation. They're going to look into it

First case in mammals in Canada. 2 red fox kits. Both died.

This is the first report of highly pathogenic avian influenza in mammals in Canada. The sequencing results indicates that the HA proteins from both red fox kits belongs to Eurasian Gs/GD lineage HPAI H5N1 with cleavage site motif “PLREKRRKR/GLF” compatible with HPAI viruses. . The virus from both red foxes contains unique constellation of gene segments with PB2, PB1, PA and NP belonging to wild bird origin North American lineage influenza A viruses. The remaining gene segments (HA, NA, M and NS) belong to Eurasian lineage.

https://oie-wahis.oie.int/#/report-info?reportId=53345

(You have to download the report at that link.)

Back
Top Bottom