Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Down in the Savannah area. Wonder if we’ll be seeing some wild/water birds show up too.

Nothing against swaps, auctions etc., but I would’ve thought they’d wait till the general “all clear” before reopening swaps. $$ I guess. :confused:
Me too. I don’t mean to bring covid into this again but we’ve seen from it what happens to case numbers when we “open back up” too quickly, you’d think officials would be more hesitant 🤔

Down in the Savannah area. Wonder if we’ll be seeing some wild/water birds show up too.

Nothing against swaps, auctions etc., but I would’ve thought they’d wait till the general “all clear” before reopening swaps. $$ I guess. :confused:

Savannah is a good bit south but still birds go where birds go. Honestly, I think there are still birds in NC infected with AI because we were told from the beginning some birds were carriers. If every infected bird died I would feel differently. I do think it will vary with the seasons but I think we will continue to see it pop up from time to time. 😢

I think we just have to rethink biosecurity. Chickens face all kinds of risks, illness, predators and they are a food animal. We have to take it in stride and do the best we can. I don't know what else to do?:confused:
And yes, seems these days it all goes back to $$$

Look up how many of your shorebirds are presently nesting on the tundra with the arctic foxes and will be returning to Savannah in September-October. It's going to be be a big number.

Make sure you and your chickens wear a mask when ya'll go to the swap meet. :)

I let some of my boys free range yesterday. I've been slack on changing shoes and I've got a wild Mallard hen that seems to be buddies with my bantam hens. All throughout the day, I go outside to find "Queenie" sitting right up against my bantam hens coop. The girls are oftentimes hanging out right next to Queenie, although in their coop. I've also started working on trying to get the crows to hang around to help deal with hawk issues that started in February. Keeping multiple roosters locked up together has been tough on them but they've handled it so well. I feel like it's only a matter of time before they lose it on each other. I've got 15 wild Canada Goose goslings that I'm keeping a close eye on, as well as the other birds in my area. I'll be continuing to pray over my flocks and y'alls 🙏🏻💕

Look up how many of your shorebirds are presently nesting on the tundra with the arctic foxes and will be returning to Savannah in September-October. It's going to be be a big number.

Make sure you and your chickens wear a mask when ya'll go to the swap meet. :)
Auctions and swaps aren’t my thing, so no worries there for me. But yes, the fall migration is very much on my mind. Like others have said, just keeping on with what I can control (biosecurity), watching the sites, and taking care of my ladies. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, for my and everyone’s flocks.

So can we relax again when it's winter time, as the migratory birds have already made their way south, or this is just another part of raising poultry now? I think I got my biosecurity nailed down and my girls do not free range. I have dedicated shoes for run and then a set to walk around my yard. My hens are in urban area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom