Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Today I saw a group of Sandhill cranes flying; they are gathering too. And a big flock of some smaller birds (can't tell what) feeding here on a pasture.
We are down to only thirty chickens, because for the first time ever, this year we had no chicks. Likely very soon the flock will be locked in again, as they were for six months early this year. :barnie
Mary

From what I've read, the autumn migration is less dangerous as the viral load is lessened as most birds are mature, as opposed to a lot of young birds in the spring migration?
Do you have a source for this information? I've read a lot about this and past outbreaks and haven't come across anything similar but I'd welcome any positive information. :)

From what I've read, the autumn migration is less dangerous as the viral load is lessened as most birds are mature, as opposed to a lot of young birds in the spring migration?
Wouldn't the autumn migration have younger birds because the breeding grounds are in the north. In the northern hemisphere, anyway.

There may be some reason one is more dangerous than the other though. It would be interesting to look into the differences. Maybe they feed more along the way - one way or the other. I know some species migrate at different times depending on age.

Cornell's Birds of the Worls web site has detailed information about breeding and migration of every bird species. Of course, there is tremendous variation between species. You have to sign up to get access to the Cornell side but it has tons of information and well worth the effort if you are at all interested in birds.

The first post in this thread concerned infected American Widgeon. Using the American Wigeon as an example, the males and immature birds migrate first. But, its a surprisingly slow process as they first stop-over somewhere for a month to go through a migratory molt. The females molt while on the nesting grounds in the northern praries and are the last to begin migrating. All ages take their time with many stop-over points. Each flyway is also different. In the Atlantic Flyway they may not finally make it down to Florida until late winter, almost early. spring.

APHIS has an elaborate wild bird sampling program for AI, but it seems like an almost impossible task to try to sort it all out and make predictions. Maybe you should wish them luck.

Back
Top Bottom