Baby Quail wobbly and can't walk

MaddyBass

Hatching
May 10, 2024
Hello.
I have a baby quail who's approximately 36 hours old. My brother hatched him, but didn't set up a proper brooder box (please don't comment on this as it is not what is most urgent) so I took the baby and set up a makeshift one. It's a bin lined with paper towels, and he has a heat lamp that I got from the local feed store. I've tried my best to make it so one side is warmer than the other, so if he's too hot or cold he can move and I'd be able to see it. He seems to have mostly stayed in the middle, and yesterday he could move around, walk and stuff. Now he's very very wobbly and can't really walk without getting stuck on his back.
Is there anything I can do?
Quick edit for more info: he has food and water but I've never actually seen him eat or drink. I thought he ate, because I left a tiny bit of food in that seemed to go away, and the water level seemed to go down a tiny bit, but I'm really not sure.

Last edited:
Hello.
I have a baby quail who's approximately 36 hours old. My brother hatched him, but didn't set up a proper brooder box (please don't comment on this as it is not what is most urgent) so I took the baby and set up a makeshift one. It's a bin lined with paper towels, and he has a heat lamp that I got from the local feed store. I've tried my best to make it so one side is warmer than the other, so if he's too hot or cold he can move and I'd be able to see it. He seems to have mostly stayed in the middle, and yesterday he could move around, walk and stuff. Now he's very very wobbly and can't really walk without getting stuck on his back.
Is there anything I can do?
Quick edit for more info: he has food and water but I've never actually seen him eat or drink. I thought he ate, because I left a tiny bit of food in that seemed to go away, and the water level seemed to go down a tiny bit, but I'm really not sure.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about the Quail chick.
It would be good if you can actually verify that he's eating/drinking. Quail chicks are quite keen on drinking water, do put some stones or marbles in the water station so he doesn't drown.

If he's a lone chick, then you may need to dip his beak in the water for the first time.

Do you have Quail or Game Bird Starter Feed? Sometimes crumbles can be a bit too large and course for the first few days. Grind the starter feed to a finer consistency or offer it as a wet mash. Soak just a small amount of starter in a little warm water for about 20-30minutes, this will soften the feed and make it easier to eat.

Work on getting your chick hydrated and eating. If you do have electrolytes or vitamins you can give those too.

If you have photos of the brooder setup and chick, those are always welcome.

Tell us the temperature of the brooder if possible and give a general idea of where you are located in the world. State? Country?

Back
Top Bottom