Balding and swelling around eye

stanleegoodspeed

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi there,

Has anyone seen something like this before? I noticed a couple days ago that my chicken's eye comb and feathers are gone and her eye lid seems to be swollen. Besides that, her behavior is normal. She's still eating and drinking and sticking with the rest of the flock. Any suggestions on what it might be? Thanks in advance!

bad-eye.jpg

It looks like an infection or a possible respiratory disease. I would clean her eye with saline or eye wash, and look for anything in the eye like a seed pod or signs of a peck to the eye. Then apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin twice a day after each cleaning. Do you have any antibiotics?

Are those bubbles in the eye (the picture is too blurry when I zoom in to tell)? With the facial swelling, it may be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG). If vet care is an option, they can test to tell you for sure. Tylosin is the usual treatment, and will help with symptoms, but it's chronic and not really cured. Infected birds are carriers and symptoms can recur periodically during times of stress.
It also could be an injury or irritation from something getting in the eye. If it's pus rather than bubbles, you can flush the eye with sterile saline or eye wash, remove all pus and look for anything foreign in there, and use terramycin eye ointment (many feed stores and tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in the eye a couple of times a day.

It looks like an infection or a possible respiratory disease. I would clean her eye with saline or eye wash, and look for anything in the eye like a seed pod or signs of a peck to the eye. Then apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin twice a day after each cleaning. Do you have any antibiotics?
Thanks for the quick reply. We've isolated her and followed your advice. It seems to be improving, she's regained color and there is less swelling. It must have been a respiratory issue

Are those bubbles in the eye (the picture is too blurry when I zoom in to tell)? With the facial swelling, it may be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG). If vet care is an option, they can test to tell you for sure. Tylosin is the usual treatment, and will help with symptoms, but it's chronic and not really cured. Infected birds are carriers and symptoms can recur periodically during times of stress.
It also could be an injury or irritation from something getting in the eye. If it's pus rather than bubbles, you can flush the eye with sterile saline or eye wash, remove all pus and look for anything foreign in there, and use terramycin eye ointment (many feed stores and tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in the eye a couple of times a day.
No pus or bubbles, there was just some swelling around the eyelid and the pale color you see. She has since improved after doing a saline wash and the suggested terramycin eye ointment. Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom