Bay Area BYCers!

Oh nice. Probably around four. I'm looking for heritage breeds for laying. Preferably Dominiques, RIR, and black australorps. I have four now and want to round out the flock to about ten and a rooster of one of those breeds, preferably Dominique.

One thing you might consider is adopting a rescued battery hen.

They're usually just 1.5 year old, have plenty more egg-laying years ahead of them, and are about to be killed by the factory. They've had a horrific life in cages, and you can give them a second chance.

There's a great rescue program in the Bay Area. The animal rescue does all the vet stuff, and they usually recover within weeks. We have three of them.

Last edited:
It's a great organization called Animal Place. I'm going up there on Saturday to pick up some girls, happy to bring some back for you if they greenlight you as an adopter, here's the application: http://animalplace.org/adoptable-chickens/
It's a $10 adoption fee per chicken
I did end up getting more hens, but also spent about an hour talking with the rescue organization. Thank you for showing them to me. I learned even more this afternoon about how cruel the meat and egg industry really is, and I'm glad there is someone spreading the word and trying to help the hens.

Back
Top Bottom