Bee keeping

I'm on my second year of keeping a backyard beehive and I'm enjoying it, though it takes some work, especially in the spring and at harvest time. I've already harvested about 50 pounds of honey this year and they girls aren't done yet! I live in California, so I don't know of any resources close to you. I am, however, willing to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to post here or PM me.

--Julie

I am an amateur bee keeper myself I was fortunate enough to not have to pay for anything except the bees. The rest of the gear and supplies a neighbor of mine gave me after he had been out of it for a while. I need to move my stuff up her from tn but I plan on setting up 3 new hives in the spring.

Yes you are lucky! I am in Texas County Mo. I got interested in bees last year. Wanted to have a hive of our own. The terrible heat posponed me. I want to learn & will read up this winter. Good luck!

This was my first year beekeeping and I have two hives, and hopefully will expand in the spring.

I think all states have beekeeper's associations - just google your state and beekeepers association. They probably have a local bee club in your area. Our bee club put on a beginners class, and it has monthly meetings that are very helpful.

There's quite a learning curve, but it's worth it!

And I bought all new everything - hives, suit, tools, etc. (Brushy Mountain). It averaged around $400 per hive, including everything. But I hear if you sell your honey, you can make that amount back pretty quickly. Generally you don't take honey from the hive the first year tho.

(Actually the bees can be pricey too - each hive cost about $90 for a package of bees)

Last edited:
I'm a beek as well! I have a hive and I used the Longstroth hive this year. It was my first hive, and it's been an amazing experience! The more everyone else here in CO complained about how terrible their crops were the better mine seemed to be doing! I had a bumper crop of everything from beans to corn to squash. I've found it hard to deal with some of the hard core clubs, they want you to pay all this money to be a member, I've found a TON of support and help online. The Bee Source website is awesome. Really great people willing to help.
I took a med super of honey this year, and left 2 deep for the bees. Next year I'm really interested in trying a top bar hive. It turns out I'm pretty allergic to bees, which has been a sever bummer, but I have found that the only times I really take stings is when I am not paying attention out in the garden and sit on a bee or weed without gloves or something equally not smart. I'm not letting it deter me and I'm going full steam ahead with at least one more hive next year, I hope they overwinter well, I believe that will be the case as my hive is very strong and I got my bees from a 40+ yr beek who is out here in CO, I advise if you are going to buy a Pac or a Nuc of bees, then get it from a local well respected source with strong bees for your climate.

Lisa

Oh! LuvmyEs, be careful, because I actually get stung MANY MANY more times when just working in the garden or hanging out on the deck than I EVER did working the hive! Seriously. If you are allergic, get an epi pen.

My first year of bee keeping haul (first batch) had 2.

My first year of bee keeping haul (first batch) had 2.

Nice honey! If you find that you are placing room temperature honey in the jars (as opposed to heated honey), the seal won't be very good and thus air gets in the jar. They DO sell some white lids that screw onto mason jars (I bought some awhile back as I use jars to store other room temp. food items). I forget where on internet I ordered them, but they are more effective at keeping out air if you didn't seal hot contents.

Back
Top Bottom