Bilateral leg swelling in 4 year old hen without lameness

jmmaye

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2021
Hello BYC community. I have a problem with one of my almost 4 year old copper marans and am reaching out to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Since about Dec 20th 2020 we noticed swelling in both of her legs, both above and below the heel, but not really into the foot. She is NOT lame on either one of them, however, swelling seems to be increasing now, and both legs almost have a blue/green color to them. At this point, she seems to be having mobility problems but again not favoring one leg or the other-but she is reluctant to jump down from her roost. When she does, she seems to be mobile, active, and walking around with the flock, interactive and eating. She does not appear to be in any distress nor is she lethargic. I'm going to add some relevant details below to see if anyone can help.

The legs are soft/squishy, and light pink in color, with some areas of spotty redness, and now a bit of green discoloration (as noted above).
The are not tender to touch and she lets me touch both of them.
There does not appear to be raised scales (mite) or any lesions (bumble foot).
None of the other 4 hens are affected.
She does not have any swelling anywhere else that I can tell.
She does not seem to have any breathing problems.
She is eating normally as far as I can tell.
I am in Central NJ so it is relatively cold here.
None of the flock, her included, is laying much right now.
I have done a pretty decent review of prior threads and have not come up with much, other than possibly arthritis, or mycoplasma (she has no swelling or symptoms around her face/comb).
I attached the best photos I could take.

If there is anyone who can offer an opinion or help I'd be grateful. Thank you.
Jessica

Attachments

• chicken legs.jpg
    chicken legs.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 13
  • chicken legs 2.jpg
    chicken legs 2.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 13
  • chicken legs 3.jpg
    chicken legs 3.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 11
I have done a pretty decent review of prior threads and have not come up with much, other than possibly arthritis, or mycoplasma (she has no swelling or symptoms around her face/comb).

Welcome To BYC

Your guesses are probably as good as ours. Gout, Arthritis or Mycoplasma. There's 2 "types" of Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma Synovaie is what causes swelling of the feet. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum is respiratory. So I wouldn't necessarily rule out MS.

Turning greenish is interesting, green in chickens is often bruising, but I honestly don't think that's the reason for color change. Possibly the beginning of infection.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have better ideas.

That is what i wondered. I'm no expert, but here are some ideas...If she rarely lays, or has stopped, maybe switch her to a flock raiser, or feed for older hens now, instead of layer feed...and limit treats to see if she improves.

Has she been able to dust bathe the past few weeks? Maybe check her vent, and do an overall look for parasites, to look for sources of inflammation/irritation. Can't tell for sure but skin looks pink where feathers cover the legs. Maybe dust feathers, roosts, and spray her legs daily with olive oil...as there may be an irritant you can't see. Small chance - but was there a change in bedding to which she may have a skin allergy / or plant sap exposure?

Plenty of fresh water, helps flush swelling, Parsley and certain other greens like dandelon - are used in humans as seasonal kidney tonics. Can't hurt to try some, as they are loaded with Vitamins.
Maybe even a warm epsom salts soak, if there's a chance of a stuck egg restricting her movement and circulation?

Since both legs are affected it may be a sign of organ trouble. I don't know if using a wormer might be a cure...but do check feces for any sign when any are ill. Poo photos may help with a diagnosis.

In humans, sometimes leg swelling is a symptom of a weak heart...and more common with age and cardio disease. On a farm they'd probably do a swift cull rather than watch her quality of life deteriorate. Still, taking a close look to inspect for a cause is a good idea...as sometimes a small change can prevent it in other birds.

I feel for you, and your pretty girl.. Good Luck.

My guess is that she could have symptoms of marble leg disease, big leg disease, or osteopetrosis a virus which can be a sign of a form of avian leukosis virus. There is no treatment. Here is some reading about this rare disease:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-breeders

Post 2:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-deformed-legs.1018149/

https://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/tumours-in-chickens-1-4187539
1610558874198.jpeg

Osteopetrosis

1610558471881.jpeg

Marble leg disease (osteopetrosis)

Attachments

• 1610558838701.jpeg
    1610558838701.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is she laying? What feed is she on? I recently was reading about excess calcium in feeds so that popped up in my mind.
Thank you for your reply.
She is not laying, though none of my hens are right now, which is not unusual for them this time of year.
She is on Nutrena NatureWise Layer feed. Has been on the same feed for her whole adult life, almost 4 years now. She does not get any extra supplements.

Back
Top Bottom