Black Copper Maran rooster cross Dominick hen

Samdoss09

Hatching
May 28, 2019
Ozark, AL
E824CE7D-5D50-4446-9207-267561A84C73.jpeg
F7695CCA-583E-451F-AADE-4686911A898D.jpeg
my RIR is one year old and this is her first spring. She quickly went broods and Sunday hatched out a beautiful clutch of new additions. My question is I had quite a few eggs from my Dominic hens under her and the only rooster I have is a black copper Maran. Will these little chicks be considered “sex linked” and will I be able to tell male and female by coloring? (More specifically white spots on their heads?)

Dominiques are barred, correct? If so, then yes, I believe the chicks will be sex linked. Males should have a dot on their heads (I see a couple in the picture) and will be barred when they feather out. The females will lack dots and barring. At least, that is how I understand it to work. I'm new at this though. I'm sure more experienced folks will pop in to confirm or correct my input.

That said, I have one that is supposed to be a Black Copper Marans rooster/ Barred Rock hen cross. He had neither the dot nor is he barred, but I am 85% certain he is a cockerel. :confused:

Adorable chicks, btw. :love

Dominiques are barred, correct? If so, then yes, I believe the chicks will be sex linked. Males should have a dot on their heads (I see a couple in the picture) and will be barred when they feather out. The females will lack dots and barring. At least, that is how I understand it to work. I'm new at this though. I'm sure more experienced folks will pop in to confirm or correct my input.

That said, I have one that is supposed to be a Black Copper Marans rooster/ Barred Rock hen cross. He had neither the dot nor is he barred, but I am 85% certain he is a cockerel. :confused:

Adorable chicks, btw. :love

Yes the he’s are barred. I believe I have all females from my observation. But mama doesn’t give me a whole lot of time to look at them. She doesn’t fuss to much or peck at me when I pick them up but she will move the brood to the other side of the house from me.
I took her and the babies out of the house and let them in the yard for a few minutes today but mama (“Red” as I call her since she is our only RIR) was very anxious to get them back into the house.

Do you know about how many days and/or weeks she will take care of them?

Breeding a barred hen to a non barred rooster, the hens do not receive a barring gene (the barring gene is only located on the male chromosome.) The cockerels will inherit one barring gene from the mother (from her male chromosome).
When the chicks hatch from this breeding, the males will have white dots on their heads, females will have all black heads.

Reference:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rs-what-they-are-and-how-to-breed-them.65934/

I breed a barred rooster with a blue hen, I don't remember what the mom was just blue. the chick was blue with a big huge white dot on her head, I thought for sure she would be a boy, but it was a big fat blue hen that laid big brown eggs.

I breed a barred rooster with a blue hen, I don't remember what the mom was just blue. the chick was blue with a big huge white dot on her head, I thought for sure she would be a boy, but it was a big fat blue hen that laid big brown eggs.

Breeding a barred rooster should always pass on barring to all the chicks. You want the barring in the hen, not the rooster to make the barred sex link.

Back
Top Bottom