Black Soldier Fly Larvae for sale

GarrisonH

Hatching
Feb 3, 2022
Hello! I have just started a soldier fly composting project in NYC and have an excess of live larvae that I'm looking to sell. After several months I finally established an indoor breeding colony and now it seems the sky is the limit for how many larvae I can produce. I use them personally to feed fish in an aquaponic system, but I know that chickens go nuts for them as well so I thought I would reach out here to see if anyone is looking to purchase some. This is a very new venture for me so I don't have a pricing structure worked out yet, but that being said I would be happy to work with folks and send out the first batch just for the cost of shipping in exchange for feedback on how your chickens like them and some pictures and testimonials that I could use in future adds. My larvae are fed using mixed food scraps from restaurants including vegetable cuttings, meat scraps, dairy and anything and everything off customers plates at the end of their meal. I first compost the scraps using the bokashi method to ensure that only good bacteria are present in the system and then feed them to the larvae combined with organic coco coir bedding. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the larvae or my operation. I am located in the East New York neighborhood of Brooklyn if anyone is local. Feel free to post here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks!
IMG_8801.jpg

I may be interested in the future. I haven’t given my chickens these before, but I have 2 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, a day gecko, a gargoyle gecko, and an anole that enjoy them. You might try marketing them for reptiles, too! I just ordered a ton of feeders, but when I run out again I’d love to give yours a try, if you’d like. :)

Hello! I have just started a soldier fly composting project in NYC and have an excess of live larvae that I'm looking to sell. After several months I finally established an indoor breeding colony and now it seems the sky is the limit for how many larvae I can produce. I use them personally to feed fish in an aquaponic system, but I know that chickens go nuts for them as well so I thought I would reach out here to see if anyone is looking to purchase some. This is a very new venture for me so I don't have a pricing structure worked out yet, but that being said I would be happy to work with folks and send out the first batch just for the cost of shipping in exchange for feedback on how your chickens like them and some pictures and testimonials that I could use in future adds. My larvae are fed using mixed food scraps from restaurants including vegetable cuttings, meat scraps, dairy and anything and everything off customers plates at the end of their meal. I first compost the scraps using the bokashi method to ensure that only good bacteria are present in the system and then feed them to the larvae combined with organic coco coir bedding. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the larvae or my operation. I am located in the East New York neighborhood of Brooklyn if anyone is local. Feel free to post here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks! View attachment 2982902
I am very interested in this kind of project. I am near Memphis, TN. How the the grubs like the bokashi? Do they grow well on it, or are there any other food items they need?

I am very interested in this kind of project. I am near Memphis, TN. How the the grubs like the bokashi? Do they grow well on it, or are there any other food items they need?
[IMG alt="GarrisonH"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/634/634832.jpg?1643941417[/IMG]

GarrisonH

Hello! Sorry I forgot to respond to this thread. The soldier fly larvae do great on the bokashi. In truth I haven't found a food source that they don't do well on, they're very robust little grubs. But yes in a bin like the one I showed above they can consumer 2-4kg of bokashi scraps every day. Or you can feed them less and they will grow more slowly. They seem to love high acid things in general. Theres a lot of citrus in my bokashi compost because of the restaurants bar and the grub always crowd into the lemons and absolutely devour them.

I may be interested in the future. I haven’t given my chickens these before, but I have 2 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, a day gecko, a gargoyle gecko, and an anole that enjoy them. You might try marketing them for reptiles, too! I just ordered a ton of feeders, but when I run out again I’d love to give yours a try, if you’d like. :)
Absolutely send me an email if you ever want to try any! Cheers!

[IMG alt="GarrisonH"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/634/634832.jpg?1643941417[/IMG]

GarrisonH

Hello! Sorry I forgot to respond to this thread. The soldier fly larvae do great on the bokashi. In truth I haven't found a food source that they don't do well on, they're very robust little grubs. But yes in a bin like the one I showed above they can consumer 2-4kg of bokashi scraps every day. Or you can feed them less and they will grow more slowly. They seem to love high acid things in general. Theres a lot of citrus in my bokashi compost because of the restaurants bar and the grub always crowd into the lemons and absolutely devour them.
I ordered my Soldier fly bin a few days ago. should be arriving by March 2. If I got some of your grubs, It could give me a head start on the season.

Hello! I have just started a soldier fly composting project in NYC and have an excess of live larvae that I'm looking to sell. After several months I finally established an indoor breeding colony and now it seems the sky is the limit for how many larvae I can produce. I use them personally to feed fish in an aquaponic system, but I know that chickens go nuts for them as well so I thought I would reach out here to see if anyone is looking to purchase some. This is a very new venture for me so I don't have a pricing structure worked out yet, but that being said I would be happy to work with folks and send out the first batch just for the cost of shipping in exchange for feedback on how your chickens like them and some pictures and testimonials that I could use in future adds. My larvae are fed using mixed food scraps from restaurants including vegetable cuttings, meat scraps, dairy and anything and everything off customers plates at the end of their meal. I first compost the scraps using the bokashi method to ensure that only good bacteria are present in the system and then feed them to the larvae combined with organic coco coir bedding. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the larvae or my operation. I am located in the East New York neighborhood of Brooklyn if anyone is local. Feel free to post here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks! View attachment 2982902
Those BSFL look beautiful. I have a wooden Black Soldier Fly composter that we built from plans on the Northwest Redworms website, but I am struggling with a black sludge accumulating in the bin and clogging the drain holes. I am about to start Bokashi composting before throwing the food scraps in the bin. It is my hope that by bokashi composting first, this sludge will be alleviated. Does that sound accurate or do you have any other advice?

I just started the bin for treats for my chickens, but I can see how I could have a small business for local chicken and reptile owners. It is easy to have more than you need. My only issue is the black sludge makes for ugly BSFL and had washing them is too time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom