BLOATED LEGHORN HEN

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
Hi all, I just noticed one of my leghorn hens has a bloated abdomen. She is waddling around but otherwise acting normally. She is drinking and eating. Not as active as usual, but not lethargic either. She pooped normally as well. I put my finger in her vent and did not feel anything hard, but clear liquid came out of her vent while I was doing this. Not sure what is wrong. Would appreciate any advice/ideas.

How old is she? When was her last egg that you know of?
Sadly, it sounds like she may have a reproduction issue.
She is 2 years old. I am not sure about her last egg, my daughter forgot to collect eggs. We only have 4 leghorns, so if we have 4 eggs, we know she lays. She is sitting on the nesting boxes tonight instead of perching tonight.

She is 2 years old. I am not sure about her last egg, my daughter forgot to collect eggs. We only have 4 leghorns, so if we have 4 eggs, we know she lays.
Do you think it might be weeks since she last laid?
She is sitting on the nesting boxes tonight instead of perching tonight.
Hmm, I'd get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day incase she's trying to pass something.
Could she be having trouble getting on the perches because of her bloated abdomen?

Do you think it might be weeks since she last laid?

Hmm, I'd get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day incase she's trying to pass something.
Could she be having trouble getting on the perches because of her bloated abdomen?
No, she definitely laid in the last few days. She also pooped today while I was checking her out.

That sounds like Ascites/ water belly. Can be caused by a lot of things but either requires a vet appointment to drain it or euthanasia- and if you do get a vet to drain it, it often comes back. (Speaking from experience :()
I'm sorry for your experience. I can't afford a vet bill right now. From my understanding, leghorns do not have a long life span due to their prolific egg laying.

Back
Top Bottom