EXTREMELY bloated hen

Fluff to Feather Farms

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
My 2 year old hen Rita has been bloated for a few months now. I thought she had worms, so I added apple cider vinegar and garlic into their food. It kept getting worse. I left for a trip last week, and lest the flock to my dad’s care. I came back yesterday. When I let them out this morning, I wanted to check on Rita. She is so much worse. Her bones are almost broken due to the swelling. She’s having difficulty breathing and can’t poop. She can’t walk and she’s very lethargic. She still has an appetite. I really love this bird and I don’t want to lose her. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 22
Does her belly filled with fluid? What color is the fluid? If you search ascites/water belly, you can find lots of information about it. If it's caused by an bacterial infection, you may be able to treat it with antibiotics. However, more cases were caused by tumor, reproductive issue, organ failure, etc. , which are not treatable. You can give her some vitamins and probiotics to see if it helps.

Does her belly filled with fluid? What color is the fluid? If you search ascites/water belly, you can find lots of information about it. If it's caused by a bacterial infection, you may be able to treat it with antibiotics. However, more cases were caused by tumor, reproductive issue, organ failure, etc. , which are not treatable. You can give her some vitamins and probiotics to see if it helps.
I would think it’s fluid. I’m not sure what color the fluid is, but she pooped something yellow with a consistency of syrup. What antibiotic do you recommend? (Thank you so much for the reply by the way)

I would think it’s fluid. I’m not sure what color the fluid is, but she pooped something yellow with a consistency of syrup. What antibiotic do you recommend? (Thank you so much for the reply by the way)
I have these two at home for antibiotics treatments:

https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-antibiotic-medications/products/baytril-10

https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-antibiotic-medications/products/amtyl

My chickens have respiratory infections, and baytril works best for them. I also used amtyl to treat my hen with ascites, but it didn't work because she had cancer not infections. Yellow fluid could be a indicator of reproductive issue or infection. I would try antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom