Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
"Genetically, two Blue Hens will produce 50% blue, 25% white, and 25% black offspring".

Is that statement true?

Blue colored pure breeds are the following I think:
  1. cochin
  2. andalusian
  3. australorp
  4. jersey giant
  5. delaware
  6. silkie
  7. brahma
  8. leghorn
  9. english araucana (tailed)
  10. orpington

I think it's based on a rather grand scale so your results may vary. That's the rule of thumb though.

This sounds like a knowledgeable thread to ask this question. In B/B/S chicken breeding, do you all find that your Blue's have more health or mortality issues than Splash or Black? I've noticed a lot of Breda owners have switched from raising B/B/S Breda to raising Mottled or Cuckoo Breda more successfully instead.

I've had 4 Blue Breda -- the 3 Blue females died early (longest lived to 1-and-a-half years) and the Blue male is 2-yrs-old and re-homed to a farm since we aren't zoned for roos.

I know Breda have a small gene pool but somehow I can't believe that's the only problem since some owners have Blue Breda as old as 7 yrs -- or if I've just been unlucky to get weak ones? I've ordered Blue Breda pullets from 3 different breeders from 3 different states and none survive today except for the one re-homed Blue male.

Sounds like its something in the Breda breed or at least the BBS lines of Breda.
I've always liked breeding BBS because you can have three colors in one breeding pen.
I've raised probably a dozen different breeds in BBS and have not seen any issues.
I have never owned any Breda though so can't comment about how they do.

Sounds like its something in the Breda breed or at least the BBS lines of Breda.
I've always liked breeding BBS because you can have three colors in one breeding pen.
I've raised probably a dozen different breeds in BBS and have not seen any issues.
I have never owned any Breda though so can't comment about how they do.

What chicken breeds have you bred in BBS?

It was pointed out to me that Blue in dog breeding also produces some health issues.

I know the Breda have a limited rare gene pool and that's probably contributing to their low resistance in mortality but I'm thinking there's something wrong with the BBS Breda in the USA since the Mottled and the Cuckoo Breda seem like hardier breeding stock for some reason.

This sounds like a knowledgeable thread to ask this question. In B/B/S chicken breeding, do you all find that your Blue's have more health or mortality issues than Splash or Black? I've noticed a lot of Breda owners have switched from raising B/B/S Breda to raising Mottled or Cuckoo Breda more successfully instead.

I've had 4 Blue Breda -- the 3 Blue females died early (longest lived to 1-and-a-half years) and the Blue male is 2-yrs-old and re-homed to a farm since we aren't zoned for roos.

I know Breda have a small gene pool but somehow I can't believe that's the only problem since some owners have Blue Breda as old as 7 yrs -- or if I've just been unlucky to get weak ones? I've ordered Blue Breda pullets from 3 different breeders from 3 different states and none survive today except for the one re-homed Blue male.

I know nothing about the Breda breed, as I have the Australorps. I have had no problems with my Blues being any weaker or non-healthier than my Black or Splashes.

Thank you all for your input re BBS breeding and especially about the Blue's. Very much appreciated! Looks like Blue Breda and all Breda in general need some genetic work to build resistant stock.
Does anyone know a Blue Langshan breeder?

What chicken breeds have you bred in BBS?

It was pointed out to me that Blue in dog breeding also produces some health issues.

I know the Breda have a limited rare gene pool and that's probably contributing to their low resistance in mortality but I'm thinking there's something wrong with the BBS Breda in the USA since the Mottled and the Cuckoo Breda seem like hardier breeding stock for some reason.

Blue in dog breeding is a whole different thing. That relates to skin issues.

BBS Orpington
BBS OEG bantams
BBS Modern game bantams
BBS LF Cochin
BBS Bantam Cochin
BBS copper marans
BBS marans
BBS Silkie
BBS White crested polish
BBS mille fleur D'uccle
BBS laced red wyandotte
BBS Japanese
I'm sure there's a couple more but that's off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom