HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Hi! This is my first post, as I am a new chicken mom. I got all four of my chickens from a farm animal sanctuary, and all came from abuse/neglect cases. I got a Golden Comet/Red Star and a Rhode Island Red about a month ago, and last weekend I went back and got another Golden Comet and a Barred Rock. I don't know their ages but they are all assumed to be somewhere between 1 and 5 years old (varying ages).

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to share about how to bond with adult hens who have come from questionable backgrounds. So far I have spent a lot of time being near them, and they get treats daily. I try to get them comfortable with approaching me by using the treats, but some still seem fearful, or just don't want to be touched.

So what are your tips for bonding with older hens? I want to earn their trust. They seem happy with their living space, but I would love to bond with them more and would love if they would approach me more on their own and even enjoy being pet. Thank you!

Here is a summary of my girls' behavior if this helps:
My older Golden Comet has bonded with me pretty well and loves to come up to me and ask for snacks. She does not enjoy being pet or picked up, but she will tolerate it. She will sometimes jump on my lap, but leaves if I try to pet her. She is very curious and does not seem scared of me. The Barred Rock jumped on my lap and seemed social the first day I got her, but since has been a little more standoffish (albeit she is probably the second most social). The younger Golden Comet is skittish, but her and the other two I mentioned will come close to me -just don't want to be touched. My RIR is very skittish, hates being approached, and would rather wait for the rest of the group to drop/miss some treats and get them later, than come and eat them from my hand.

Last edited:
Some hens will always be weary and some will bond quickly. Offering treats is a good start. Once they get used to treats you can try offering them from your hand. Don't force them though. Without knowing their backgrounds they could have had a traumatic experience with humans or little contact with humans at all.

Talking to them and just being near them will help. It will take time, just like any other animal. Some of my birds love to be picked up and pet (or they'll at least tolerate it :lau). Others like to be near me and will eat from my hand but absolutely hate being touched or pet. You just have to respect them and give them their personal space.

Some hens will always be weary and some will bond quickly. Offering treats is a good start. Once they get used to treats you can try offering them from your hand. Don't force them though. Without knowing their backgrounds they could have had a traumatic experience with humans or little contact with humans at all.

Talking to them and just being near them will help. It will take time, just like any other animal. Some of my birds love to be picked up and pet (or they'll at least tolerate it :lau). Others like to be near me and will eat from my hand but absolutely hate being touched or pet. You just have to respect them and give them their personal space.
Thank you! I think I will give them more time. Even if they never want to be pet or picked up,it's okay because they are fun/funny to watch regardless. The older Golden Comet and Barred rock are pretty curious and chatty around me, so at least I will have those interactions.

Part of me just really longs to earn their trust though and show them that I'm not like the other humans they knew in their old lives. I hope over time this can happen.

How slow do you go with chickens though? I picked them all up a lot when I first got them, being a new chicken owner. Could this have spooked or traumatized them?

Most chickens will never want to be picked up or touched no matter how they're raised.

They are prey animals and being held or touched it unnatural to them -- too much like being in the jaws of a predator. The exception being when hens squat for their owner as if the owner were rooster. Then you can give them a firm petting on the back and they'll appreciate it.

But given tasty treats by a person who is gentle and makes no frightening moves will probably see them learning to crowd around your feet so that you can barely walk in the run.

Rule 1, never step backward. Rule 2, always watch when stepping forward. The rest you'll figure out..

Good for you to take in rescues.

Rule 3: Step lightly until you're certain that you're not treading on anyone's toes.

I frequently have to apologize to the Cochin for getting my boot on her foot feathers.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I guess I will just continue to hang out with them and treat them in a non-threatening manner and see if that leads to them being more comfortable.

Picking them up and petting them is not a must for me (but it would be a bonus lol). My goal is really just to help them feel comfortable and safe around me. I have no idea what they went through in their old lives, although I do know pretty much all the animals from that farm come from abuse and/or neglect. I just want them to live out their lives happily with me.

Hi! This is my first post, as I am a new chicken mom. I got all four of my chickens from a farm animal sanctuary, and all came from abuse/neglect cases. I got a Golden Comet/Red Star and a Rhode Island Red about a month ago, and last weekend I went back and got another Golden Comet and a Barred Rock. I don't know their ages but they are all assumed to be somewhere between 1 and 5 years old (varying ages).

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to share about how to bond with adult hens who have come from questionable backgrounds. So far I have spent a lot of time being near them, and they get treats daily. I try to get them comfortable with approaching me by using the treats, but some still seem fearful, or just don't want to be touched.

So what are your tips for bonding with older hens? I want to earn their trust. They seem happy with their living space, but I would love to bond with them more and would love if they would approach me more on their own and even enjoy being pet. Thank you!

Here is a summary of my girls' behavior if this helps:
My older Golden Comet has bonded with me pretty well and loves to come up to me and ask for snacks. She does not enjoy being pet or picked up, but she will tolerate it. She will sometimes jump on my lap, but leaves if I try to pet her. She is very curious and does not seem scared of me. The Barred Rock jumped on my lap and seemed social the first day I got her, but since has been a little more standoffish (albeit she is probably the second most social). The younger Golden Comet is skittish, but her and the other two I mentioned will come close to me -just don't want to be touched. My RIR is very skittish, hates being approached, and would rather wait for the rest of the group to drop/miss some treats and get them later, than come and eat them from my hand.
Find a treat they LOVE and get a clicker ….search some YouTube chicken clicker training how to videos ! The training exercises will build trust and relationship !

Back
Top Bottom