Bordetellosis in a chick flock! - Keeping track of recovery

RhymeOrReason

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Background info: a few days ago, one of our Turkey poults named Winnie began periodically sneezing, but even with treatment, continued to do so until now, where orange discharge around the nasal area + mouth breathing is present. The chicken chicks in the brooder also began showing symptoms almost immediately after Winnie did, but only have the sneezing and thankfully don’t have it as severely.

Winnie - Blue Slate turkey, Kai - Red-shouldered Yokohama, Bubs - Wheaten Cubalaya Bantam, Millie - Black-Breasted Cuabalaya Bantam

After researching, we discovered that it’s likely Bordetellosis, which also explains the transmission to the chickens. Thankfully, though it’s highly infectious to other fowl, it has a very low mortality rate as long as complications don’t arise. Winnie, despite the sneezing and need (to her adamant dismay) to have her little beak cleaned when things get stuck to the guck or when it dries around her nostrils, is extremely active and isn’t visibly lethargic in the slightest, which is surprising, and very good news! The other chicks are very active as well, but don’t get things stuck to their beaks, though I still check when I’m doing a round of cleaning just to make sure.

Winnie is roughly 4 weeks old, and has had bordetellosis for around 1 week, and the chicks are roughly 3 weeks old, having had bordetellosis for about 3 days. It’s said to take 4-6 weeks to recover as long as there are no complications- going to update this thread with their progress, also send tips if you can!

Update: everyone’s doing great! Only small sneezes now, far less than before. Winnie still has some nose crusties I have to clean a couple of times a day, but she’s doing a lot better and has completely perked right up. I think they’ll all be recovered soon if this pattern continues!

All babies are healed and recovered! However, my poor little goober Bubs ended up getting injured and is currently being treated, but the rest are doing fine.

Conclusion: If your flock ends up with Bordetellosis, make sure they are hydrated, eating well, and give them electrolytes in their water if possible.

(Conclusion from my experience with it, doesn’t apply to every case, make sure to tend to the needs of your birds individually! I am also absolutely not a doctor)

- Make sure to gently clear any crust or gunk buildup on your animals’ beaks + nostrils with a slightly damp paper towel, or potentially tweezers if it’s become hard and crunchy. Do this twice a day at least, when you see them in the morning, and when you put them to bed for the night. If crust is impacting breathing, do this more frequently.

- Keep an eye on them and make sure not to introduce any new chickens/turkeys into the flock, as Bordetellosis often becomes deadly when an individual is infected with another virus/bacteria secondarily.

- As long as they’re still moving around and can properly eat, drink, and etc, they should recover in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom