Brahma toes?

The shortened outer, forward facing toe is common in feather footed breeds such as Cochins and Brahmas. It is a trait that can be selected for or against. Sometimes the toe is so shortened it lacks a nail. Sometime it is just about 1/2 the length of the inner forward facing toe.

The shortened outer, forward facing toe is common in feather footed breeds such as Cochins and Brahmas. It is a trait that can be selected for or against. Sometimes the toe is so shortened it lacks a nail. Sometime it is just about 1/2 the length of the inner forward facing toe.

Yes! There are no nails.

I hope you can see in this pic. You'll have to look through the feathers.

86005_img_2830.jpg

We have only been chicken Mama & Papa for about a year now and we have 2 dark brahmas in our flock. Their outer toes are as you described, short...and ours are missing the nail. But our girls are a year old and it's never slowed them down or affected their behavior as far as we can tell.

I think one of mine is in contention to be Top Hen! She's been wrestling with two other girls to be Queen of the Hill. (The Hill, in this case, being a stuffed cardinal put in the brooder by my stepdaughters so the chicks wouldn't miss their mamas...)

86005_img_2833.jpg

Back
Top Bottom