Breeding

@MysteryChicken I'm breeding dominique to dominique why are some of my chicks coming out with single comb? When there supposed to have rose comb ? I thought rose is dominant

Rose comb is dominant.

That means that a chicken can show rose comb when it has one rose comb gene and one not-rose gene.

A chicken like that gives the rose comb gene to half of its chicks, and the not-rose gene to the other half of its chicks.

If you have a rooster and a hen like that, some chicks get not-rose from both parents, and they show single combs.

This is pretty common in chicken breeds with rose comb.

If you want to breed Dominiques that are pure for rose comb, and will never produce chicks with single combs, you can test-mate every one of them to see who carries the not-rose gene, and keep only the ones that are pure for rose. Once you do that, they will produce 100% rose comb chicks (unless you bring in new stock that has the not-rose gene.)

For test-mating: any rooster or hen that has ever produced a single comb chick is carrying the not-rose gene. You don't need to test them, because you already know. For ones that have not yet produced a single comb chick, breed them to a single-comb bird and hatch a dozen or so chicks. If any have single combs, the bird being tested has the not-rose gene. If the whole dozen have rose combs, the bird being tested is probably pure for the rose comb gene. (Statistically, it takes about 7 chicks to be 99% sure the parent is pure for rose comb, but since you can't guarantee how many eggs will actually produce chicks, I'd try for some extras just to be sure you have enough. If any chicks die right before hatching, you can open the eggs and check comb type on them too.)

Of course test-breeding every bird is a nuisance. It may be easier to just resign yourself to having some single comb chicks, and use them as layers, or meat birds, or sell them, or something of the sort.

If you want to produce just rose comb chicks one year, but aren't concerned about the future, you could test-mate all roosters, and only use the ones that are pure for rose comb. Such a rooster will give rose comb to all of his chicks, so they will all show a rose comb, but you won't know which chicks inherit not-rose from their mother and which don't (unless you raise the chicks up and test-mate them.)

Rose comb is dominant.

That means that a chicken can show rose comb when it has one rose comb gene and one not-rose gene.

A chicken like that gives the rose comb gene to half of its chicks, and the not-rose gene to the other half of its chicks.

If you have a rooster and a hen like that, some chicks get not-rose from both parents, and they show single combs.

This is pretty common in chicken breeds with rose comb.

If you want to breed Dominiques that are pure for rose comb, and will never produce chicks with single combs, you can test-mate every one of them to see who carries the not-rose gene, and keep only the ones that are pure for rose. Once you do that, they will produce 100% rose comb chicks (unless you bring in new stock that has the not-rose gene.)

For test-mating: any rooster or hen that has ever produced a single comb chick is carrying the not-rose gene. You don't need to test them, because you already know. For ones that have not yet produced a single comb chick, breed them to a single-comb bird and hatch a dozen or so chicks. If any have single combs, the bird being tested has the not-rose gene. If the whole dozen have rose combs, the bird being tested is probably pure for the rose comb gene. (Statistically, it takes about 7 chicks to be 99% sure the parent is pure for rose comb, but since you can't guarantee how many eggs will actually produce chicks, I'd try for some extras just to be sure you have enough. If any chicks die right before hatching, you can open the eggs and check comb type on them too.)

Of course test-breeding every bird is a nuisance. It may be easier to just resign yourself to having some single comb chicks, and use them as layers, or meat birds, or sell them, or something of the sort.

If you want to produce just rose comb chicks one year, but aren't concerned about the future, you could test-mate all roosters, and only use the ones that are pure for rose comb. Such a rooster will give rose comb to all of his chicks, so they will all show a rose comb, but you won't know which chicks inherit not-rose from their mother and which don't (unless you raise the chicks up and test-mate them.)
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom