Broiler feed Cornish x ~opinions wanted~

J_Yonts

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Looking for good feed for broilers near Central Indiana. I'd like a starter mash, Grower and then finishing pellets.

Looking for good feed for broilers near Central Indiana. I'd like a starter mash, Grower and then finishing pellets.
The best thing to do with cornish X is to start them off from day one on meat bird crumbles, which is usually 22% protein vs the 18% protein of most chick starters. Then feed them meat bird crumbles or pellets on through 'til the end.

The best thing to do with cornish X is to start them off from day one on meat bird crumbles, which is usually 22% protein vs the 18% protein of most chick starters. Then feed them meat bird crumbles or pellets on through 'til the end.
:goodpost: THAT is the way.

and if you can't find "meat bird" look for "Game Bird" or "Turkey" or "Quail" feeds (NOT ayer or breeder - too much calcium). Those will likely be betweein 24% and 30% protein. Then mix with an All Flock/Flock Raiser to reduce your proetin level down to 24% +/-, finishing at 20-22%

:goodpost: THAT is the way.

and if you can't find "meat bird" look for "Game Bird" or "Turkey" or "Quail" feeds (NOT ayer or breeder - too much calcium). Those will likely be betweein 24% and 30% protein. Then mix with an All Flock/Flock Raiser to reduce your proetin level down to 24% +/-, finishing at 20-22%

Congratulations on your new badge @U_Stormcrow ! You earned that one for the "winter of '23 famous feed fiasco" alone! :clap

I just know where to look for answers from more qualified persons. and my spelling remains atrocious.
And yet you somehow managed "atrocious"
1680974711249.png

You are much too humble, my friend.

I feed the Cornishx chicks Flock Raiser, which has worked for me here. After they are three or four weeks of age, I remove the feed at night, and finally let them eat nine or ten hours daily, not all the time. And the feeders and waterers are maybe fifteen feet apart, so they have to move around a bit.
22% to 24% protein would be fine too, although the 20% has worked for mine.
Find something that's fresh by mill date where you shop!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom