Broken/Damaged Wings

titosfarm

Chirping
Jan 9, 2022
South Carolina
We have a game hen who has recently been acting strange the past few days. It began with one wing dragging, then a few days later the next. Assuming she has broken wings, we tried to wrap it and the wrap came off within just a few hours. Today we went down to check on her and she was laying on her back with her neck crooked, we thought she may be dead. As soon as we flipped her over she started walking, but still seems crippled and the wings are still dragging. Any advice on what we should do??

She recently flew over the fence as well so we weren’t sure if there was damage from that. But if it is Mareks we don’t want it spreading to our flock.

After a closer look her wing looks bloody and damaged. The other wing still droops but has no damage?

Attachments

• 2775CF99-F8F1-499C-9FE4-8D4999F49B1A.jpeg
    2775CF99-F8F1-499C-9FE4-8D4999F49B1A.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 8
As with all injuries, especially severe ones, shock should be the first thing you treat. Give her warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda or warm up a little Gatoraid and give it to her to drink for the next 24 hours. If she isn't able to drink on her own, syringe it into her beak.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

This will go a long way toward restoring her body chemistry and she may become more alert and coordinated.

Treat the wound on the wing as you would any wound, soap and water or saline flush to remove bacteria and dirt, and then dress with antibacterial ointment. Wrapping a wing is not necessary unless you determine bones are broken. Feel the other wing, then gently feel the damaged wing with finger tips to see if any bones are out of position.

Come back and report what you find.

As with all injuries, especially severe ones, shock should be the first thing you treat. Give her warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda or warm up a little Gatoraid and give it to her to drink for the next 24 hours. If she isn't able to drink on her own, syringe it into her beak. View attachment 2955184

This will go a long way toward restoring her body chemistry and she may become more alert and coordinated.

Treat the wound on the wing as you would any wound, soap and water or saline flush to remove bacteria and dirt, and then dress with antibacterial ointment. Wrapping a wing is not necessary unless you determine bones are broken. Feel the other wing, then gently feel the damaged wing with finger tips to see if any bones are out of position.

Come back and report what you find.
We gave her heated gatorade along with some vitamins. There is a little bit of blood along the wing, more in one spot in particular. We do not think it’s broken, but it’s obvious there is injury. We also gave vitamins to those who stay in the coop with her just in case it is sickness.

Attachments

• 4FE4072B-39EE-489D-9227-9A9B67457062.jpeg
    4FE4072B-39EE-489D-9227-9A9B67457062.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 7
Have you treated the wound?
For wounds under a wing, I've found that ointments like Neosporin can be sticky and make a mess. What I have had success with is to use Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). Clean the wound with Chlorhexidine initially, then once daily (or more if the wound gets soiled) apply the Chlorhexidine (I put it on a cotton ball and pat/swab the wound). Let it dry some before you release her. It's a must that the wound is looked at daily and tended to.
She's been injured somehow. Look through the rest of her feathers to make sure she has no puncture wounds, cuts, etc. that need to be tended.

Do you have a rooster by any chance? If you do, what breed?

Last edited:
Have you treated the wound?
For wounds under a wing, I've found that ointments like Neosporin can be sticky and make a mess. What I have had success with is to use Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). Clean the wound with Chlorhexidine initially, then once daily (or more if the wound gets soiled) apply the Chlorhexidine (I put it on a cotton ball and pat/swab the wound). Let it dry some before you release her. It's a must that the wound is looked at daily and tended to.
She's been injured somehow. Look through the rest of her feathers to make sure she has no puncture wounds, cuts, etc. that need to be tended.

Do you have a rooster by any chance? If you do, what breed?
It was late and dark while we were figuring all of this out so we will definitely treat it in the morning. I’ll make sure we use that, thank you so much! We have silkie roosters.

Back
Top Bottom