Broken/Damaged Wings

If the roosters generally mate her, then you may want to move her to a cage within the coop/run during the day so she can rest and recover. The last thing you want is them to be mounting her while she's injured. Though they may be gentle, some roosters will take advantage of a hen that can't readily get away too fast.

It doesn't look like mating injury, but you may want to check to make sure the Silkies' spurs and toenails are not too sharp too.

I'm not saying this is from the roosters - usually damage from an accidental slice from spur is along the body, not the wing like that - just giving a tip about spurs and toenails, since I've dealt with injury from those too (accidental of course, a nail or spur just happens to gouge the hen).

Last edited:
Found her in the same position as yesterday. Thinking she keeps getting flipped over and doesn’t know how to get up? Legs and neck are working perfectly fine.

Attachments

• 41BBC199-CBBC-4A4A-8D57-79EE888C9FA9.jpeg
    41BBC199-CBBC-4A4A-8D57-79EE888C9FA9.jpeg
    902.1 KB · Views: 10
Update: Her wing is slightly green in the armpit and when you lift it there is a very strong smell. I'm not sure what else to do for her. Her wings are continuing to droop and she refuses to keep it wrapped. She is eating and drinking fine, she is separated from the flock. She isn't disoriented anymore but she still struggles.

Somehow I didn't see your last posts!

Is she able to stand up?

A strong smell is probably infection. Have you cleaned the wounds? I wouldn't wrap unless absolutely necessary, wrapping traps bacteria.
Is the skin green like bruising or could it be moldy?
Updated photos may be helpful.

Also, do you have any antibiotics on hand? You are in SC so you may be able to get fish antibiotics (Fish Mox/Amoxicillin) at TSC - maybe, depending on your stores and stock. That would be a good thing to get if possible.

Somehow I didn't see your last posts!

Is she able to stand up?

A strong smell is probably infection. Have you cleaned the wounds? I wouldn't wrap unless absolutely necessary, wrapping traps bacteria.
Is the skin green like bruising or could it be moldy?
Updated photos may be helpful.

Also, do you have any antibiotics on hand? You are in SC so you may be able to get fish antibiotics (Fish Mox/Amoxicillin) at TSC - maybe, depending on your stores and stock. That would be a good thing to get if possible.
We didn’t see any “wound” necessarily, we did treat it with antibiotics. The only thing showing was a little blood and the green, which I assumed was bruising. Her wing seems to be getting worse. I will get pictures tomorrow. She is walking around and eating/drinking just fine, she just trips on her wings because they drop so much.

Back
Top Bottom