BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I use a old rabbit hutch for a brooder it has a beam in the roof that I can clip my heat bulb on to it when needed. Then after they are about 2 months I move them to the dog run/cage. I keep them there until they are big enough to move to the introduction cage inside the coop. I have 2 that I use it depends on how many chicks I have to introduce to the girls in the coop. I'm using the small one right now for blaze & star.

brooder.jpg

brooder1.jpg

brooder2.jpg

puletcage2.jpg

introcage.jpg

These are my indoor brooder I have two that I keep in the guest room. The lids are cut out and hardware cloth & screen on bolted on.
100_0497.jpg

Last edited:
Heres ours - they are moving out to the new coop (made smaller into a SUPER brooder) in about a week (or sooner if they grow too much)
tongue.png

It's a wood box we use to keep our logs in out in the woodstove room. Perfect for chicks! They grow so fast. When I took the pic they "froze" for a minute because of the flash!
lol.png

104cbd57.jpg

31e659e4.jpg

DixieByrdRN,

Yes, my chicks are messy little fluff balls, and the litter does get in there. BUT, I refill their feed every day, and for 4 banties that are now 5 weeks old, they eat a whole jar a day of food! So I'm thinking nothing gets between those birds and their crumble... not even pine shavings
big_smile.png

Some really nice brooders on here!

We are useing the 50 gallon tub from walmart (3ft.3 inches by 1ft. 7 inches for 4 chicks.. getting big chicks), cost around $15. and we have a couple left over screens from old windows on top.
tubnbirds.jpg
tubnbirds2.jpg
(hey didnt I just post these pics somewhere else
tongue.png

Last edited:
Our is very basic and really not up to par in relation to others I've seen in this thread, but it has managed to make it through 3 different clutches of chicks.....or however you want to call them. Ours is the Walmart Christmas Tree Container that I came up with the day after we bought our chicks. The next day my hubby and son made the lid. It looks so small in the picture, but our Christmas Tree is 6 1/2 feet tall and behind the brooder is my 55 gallon saltwater tank that I haven't gotten running again since the move. The measurements are 50 1/8"x14 1/4"x20 5/8". However, my hubby is wanting to build a new one for the upcoming ones at the end of this month. You guys have given him some great ideas. Thanks!

100_1898.jpg

okay this may seem like an incredibly old and stupid question, but woulden't brooders made with plastic (i.e. the plastic rubbermaid containers) become to hot and prretty much cook the bird?

Saltiena, they do get hot inside. I have never put a lid on mine so there is air circulating in there somewhat. The only times I have seen my babies too hot was when I diecided to put the 250w. heat bulb on them. Now that was close to cooked. Poor babies went through 120+ temps for about an hour. Don't know how I didn't lose one. They were only 2 days old.

I use 3 rubbermaids that are 35gal. They work great for little chicks. I did find out that you can't keep 14 Fast Cornish chicks in one container past a few days. They just eat, drink & poop. We have to change ours daily. Luckily, it's been warm enough to put them outside in a bigger cage.

Back
Top Bottom