BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

here are some pics. its nithing fancy but it works
L1020268-1.jpg
L1020289.jpg

So my rumpless Araucanas will be 2 weeks old tomorrow, and they've totally outgrown their brooder. I modified my German Shepherd's traveling crate for them (just by wrapping it with some plastic 1" mesh I got at Walmart--it was in the garden section for wrapping tomato plants) and moved them in tonight, and they're loving it! Soooooo much more room. They're flapping around all over the place, trying to fly--too cute!

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

Simi says, "Why are these things in my old bedroom???"
IMAG0142.jpg

Here's my brooder. I read up on them prior to bringing the chicks home as this is my first batch ever. The dog fencing is to keep out my curious labrador from the lil' peepers. I've since removed the dog fencing and now have a wire screen over the top as well as 2x4 perches. It's been simple to clean and has kept them safe.
brooder.jpg

We had the same idea as a bunch of people - a 35ish gal. storage bin, and I wanted to get clear so we could watch them and vice versa. I think it's been helpful in having them get used to us since they can see us coming and don't freak out when we reach in. We also had to raise the feeder/water on blocks since they were full of shavings within minutes. My husband welded a door frame for the middle so we can access the box without taking off the entire lid. It's been pretty useful. The fabulously attractive duct tape was added just to cover up pointy wire ends that were poking the kids.

of=50,590,392

Ok....Now I'm starting to worry. I think my brooder may be too small! I have a 45 gal rubbermaid tub, but I have 25 chicks coming on Monday! How much room do I need to give them, and how easily to they get out. I hadn't planed a lid...oh my....I have some empty horse water tanks, but I don't know if I could get them thru the door of the bedroom. I want to keep them in the house for a while. The coop isn't done yet, and well, I just want them in the house anyway!
hmm.png

Can I use two of the rubbermaid thingies and mix the chicks back and forth so they get used to each other? I think I better go start on a plan B!!

Back
Top Bottom