BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

And here is my Guinea brooder. They are mostly why my house smells like a barn. I think its the turkey starter they eat.

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

And this is my hospital. I had one chick with splayed legs who is now sneezing. She is much smaller than the smallest chick so I think I will reintroduce her when they all move outside.

DSC02908.jpg

Mini Coop R

Okay, here is my contribution for a brooder. JoAnn and I live on the Big Island and some of you know that we had the distinction of having not one but two hurricanes barreling down on us this week (Madeline and Lester). THANKFULLY, neither of then posed a problem where we are on the island, so we feel extremely thankful.
The feeling wasn't that way two weeks ago when the feed store we ordered a few new birds from - two Barred Rock Roosters and 4 Cornish Cross chicks- called to tell us they wouldn't be getting them in until the week the hurricanes would hit. Yikes.
Fast forward to three days ago, and in the hustle and bustle of Madeline, I get a call letting us know our chicks were in! Totally forgot they were still coming. JoAnn and I went to get them and while the Barred Rock Roos weren't in the order they did have a "few extra" CC - 8 over our order. Well, the chicken math along with the added pressure of the stress of Lester and of course we headed home with storm clouds overhead but we had 12 new peepers in our Jeep.
We had great luck with two broody hens taking over the RR and Barred Rocks, but we were fresh out of broody hens.
"We need a brooder", JoAnn says.
"Okay, we have some scrap I can make a box for them, should be done tomorrow night.", I say.
I originally made a cube out of some left over scrap plywood I had laying around, but that looked too spartan, too austere, even if they weren't going to be in it very long. It was ugly. I quickly re-purposed the parts and decided to built a mini version of the coop I made for the hens.
I said, "If I am going to Remodel this, lets do it right!" The re-model, (dubbed version R) took only 4 hours longer than I expected, so the chicks got to stay in the house for one extra day while the first coat of paint dried overnight. Next day the trim was painted, roof went on in a flash and the lamp was hung. JoAnn thinks it was a good choice to remodel the ugly.

Our 3 are in an XL dog crate. We started off with the heat lamp (white bulb, then red, then back to lower wattage white until the EcoGlow came in). I was worrying too much about a fire so I bought the EcoGlow when they were a week old. We're out about $100 in heat source trial and error, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_9670.JPG
    IMG_9670.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    668.5 KB · Views: 46
Here is my new DIY brooder box

I just finished this project. This box was made from recycled political campaign signs and 3/4 inch PVC trim material. It was designed as a proof of concept for building cage like structures out of the PVC. I think it worked out very well and I will next use this method to build a quail grow out cage. It is easily cleaned, completely weather proof, and and should outlast wood. My initial concern was that it might be too flexible, but the plastic sheets and/or wire mesh stiffen it up nicely.

Attachments

• Brooder 2_11_03.jpg
    Brooder 2_11_03.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 38
I use a old rabbit hutch for a brooder it has a beam in the roof that I can clip my heat bulb on to it when needed. Then after they are about 2 months I move them to the dog run/cage. I keep them there until they are big enough to move to the introduction cage inside the coop. I have 2 that I use it depends on how many chicks I have to introduce to the girls in the coop. I'm using the small one right now for blaze & star.

brooder.jpg

brooder1.jpg

brooder2.jpg

puletcage2.jpg

introcage.jpg

These are my indoor brooder I have two that I keep in the guest room. The lids are cut out and hardware cloth & screen on bolted on.
100_0497.jpg

Last edited:
Our is very basic and really not up to par in relation to others I've seen in this thread, but it has managed to make it through 3 different clutches of chicks.....or however you want to call them. Ours is the Walmart Christmas Tree Container that I came up with the day after we bought our chicks. The next day my hubby and son made the lid. It looks so small in the picture, but our Christmas Tree is 6 1/2 feet tall and behind the brooder is my 55 gallon saltwater tank that I haven't gotten running again since the move. The measurements are 50 1/8"x14 1/4"x20 5/8". However, my hubby is wanting to build a new one for the upcoming ones at the end of this month. You guys have given him some great ideas. Thanks!

100_1898.jpg

Back
Top Bottom