Broody + gagging! Hot day yesterday and this happens....

Clemmy

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I live in New England, and It was a very hot day yesterday. My rir and EE where gagging without noise! They constantly sat in the nesting box and kept gagging, and My thought it was because of the heat. I gave my 3 chickens TONS of cool water and and my coop has a roof for shade and lots of ventilation, so I have no idea what happened. I also do not think the case is gape worm because of my small flock and how uncommon it is.

Any suggestions?

If they are not 'gagging' today now that it is cooler, it was definitely that they were too hot. Hopefully your coop/run will be shaded this summer when things get much hotter.

Were they actually making gagging noises? Or were they just hanging around with their beaks open?

It's normal for chickens to pant when they're hot. They open their beaks about halfway when they do this, but they make no sound.

Also, when chickens are suffering from being too hot, the tissue on their faces gets cherry red. Electrolytes in their water can help.

from your descriptions, it seems that they where too hot. It was very hot that day, and they where making no sound. I will give them electrolytes next time. Thank you for your help!!! :ya

I also provide overheated birds with a big pan of ice a few times a day. They like to stand on it and peck at it. They definitely need a shady place to lay down too.

Back
Top Bottom