Broody girl nesting outside coop

Neuroscigirl

Chirping
May 24, 2018
I have a broody Swedish Blue that is starting to make a nest outside of the coop. What have others done in this situation? Can I move the nest? Should it be totally separate from the other ducks?

Our coop isn't terribly large but I could easily build another mini coop just for her. Right now the main concern is figuring out what to do about her nest because I don't want to leave her outside the coop all night.

Thankfully she is still gathering eggs and it doesn't seem like she is fully sitting on the eggs round the clock yet.

I hope you’ll discourage her from nesting outside she’ll be a sitting duck. I give my broody her own space a piece of lattice or a cubby made out of scrap wood so she has privacy.

I can't even begin to count how many ducks I have lost due to my negligence of leaving them outside, get her in a secure area inside the coop away from other drakes/ducks as soon as possible.

I can't even begin to count how many ducks I have lost due to my negligence of leaving them outside, get her in a secure area inside the coop away from other drakes/ducks as soon as possible.
I definitely won't be leaving her outside. Is it possible to move a duck's nest and have them continue sitting on it? Is there a delicate way to do this? Like should I try to scoop up the entire nest including all the bedding and transfer the whole thing?

I hope you’ll discourage her from nesting outside she’ll be a sitting duck. I give my broody her own space a piece of lattice or a cubby made out of scrap wood so she has privacy.
I absolutely won't be leaving her outside :) Rest assured her safety is my #1 concern.

I definitely won't be leaving her outside. Is it possible to move a duck's nest and have them continue sitting on it? Is there a delicate way to do this? Like should I try to scoop up the entire nest including all the bedding and transfer the whole thing?

That's the other problem, very rarely do duck nest transfers go smoothly. I guess its worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom