Broody killing other chicks - how do I tell them apart??

grammaC

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2011
SE Minnesota
I have a Cuckoo Maran and a Buff Orpington that both hatched chicks. Each one had at least two, and there were six altogether. The problem is, I housed them in a small pen, and one of the hens killed a chick this morning. I have another pen set up, but I can't figure out which chicks belong to whom, and I don't want to chance another murder.

I put the Maran in a separate pen, and brought chicks to her one by one, but she pecked them. How do I know whose is whose? Right now, I just have the babies by themselves and they're chirping up a storm in the barn. The mamas are beside themselves.

Ideas?? I should note that the chicks are 1-3 days old.

U might be able to tell by color. Also u could let the murdering hen interact with the chicks, but they would need to be separated by, for example; a fence of chicken wire. See if she lunges at particular ones. Hope this helps!

I'm hoping others reply but here's my thoughts.

You can keep trying what you're trying, bringing the chicks to the Buff to see which she will accept? It seems the Maran wouldn't take any of them?

The other thing to try is to slip an equal number of chicks under each hen after the hen has laid down for the night.

And I would also wonder how this happened. In other words, were the 2 hens in 2 seperate pens to hatch their chicks?

My method is I don't move my broody hens and let them hatch in whatever nest box they choose. In fact, I have 2 hens that will hatch in a few days on the exact same date. BUT the big thing that makes this possible is I free range (absolutely no fence during the day, secured coop at night) and I have a REALLY large coop (40 x 14 coop) so the mothers have loads of space away from each other and away from the other chickens too even. I also put a chick feeder and chick waterer near each hatching mom. As the moms and their respective chicks start to move around, they dont' have to compete for food and they have total freedom to get the heck out of each other's way. One of the 2 hens usually is more dominant over the second mother but that second mother simply stays out of the dominant hen's way. I have NEVER had any conflict between multiple moms using this method. But my set up and free range farm and big coop is what makes this work.

So, the point is, think about how you can let the mom's have as much space as possible to stay away from the other mothers. Mom's too close and without room to get away and keep separated from other mothers will have conflict and yes... chicks will get killed in the process.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

Last edited:
You might be able to give them back to the Orpington tonight. If she's still on the nest. Watch her as you did the Marans.

If they were mine I'd raise them myself at this point. I've lost several trying to make it work with hens that peck them.

I was very lucky with my three broodies and another hen and rooster in the same coop. Only lost two in the process of them getting acquainted, but I didn't have any other space for them.

Separate hens by about 6 feet. Then place all chicks down between them. Chicks will go to the hen they are imprinted on. I used to used chicken coops like used to transport chickens but inverted laundry baskets will also work. The little dog kennels can also work although chicks will not be able to pass through doors.

Do not attempt to force adoptions abruptly as considered above. You are experiencing what is risked when have broodies in close proximity. Things do not always turn out sweet and cute.

If you try to let each hen have chicks you probably need to keep the different hens and their broods separated for a long time. To me it's not worth that but I don't know how your facilities are set up. Many people are quite successful at having multiple broodies with chicks but occasionally you have these problems.

I did not see that Marans peck those chicks. Often a broody will peck her chicks to discipline them or enforce her orders. She may have been telling them to get away from that monster (you) and get under me NOW! Or she may have been attacking, I don't know.

I realize you have probably already done what you are going to do, hopefully it worked. But if it were me I'd give them all to one hen (probably the Orp) and let her raise them while I broke the other broody so she can get back to laying eggs. At that age the chicks should manage imprinting on either. That would make my life simpler. But we all have different goals and ways of doing things.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom