Broody killing other chicks - how do I tell them apart??

In my setting, a hen will recognize chicks that are not hers and attack them. That includes chicks of similar age to hers where hen and chicks are at good broody cycle stage / age for imprinting, respectively. The whole process is complicated by hens in conflict.

To get so one hen is parent you will have four processes underway. First is removing chicks from one hen they are at least partially imprinted on (stressor). Second is you have a broody hen to break that will complicate managing her chicks unless you can get her out of hearing range from her brood you are trying to foster out. Third some of the chicks need to be imprinted in the hen that did not incubate them which will be complicated by having one that did nearby. Fourth the hen to have combined broods needs to be imprinted on additional chicks that may need to be introduced slowly over a couple days. You need space and some containers for such to work and it is an aggravating 3 days when I do it if you cannot simply slip chicks under remaining hen after dark. Chicks during hatching process are the only ones I can consistently transfer to a another hen that is also hatching chicks at same time.

Back
Top Bottom