Brown vs Isabella leghorn.

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
Hello,
I’m looking to add a couple leghorn hens to my flock and can’t decide between either brown or Isabella. Besides color, has anyone noticed any difference in maybe feed consumption, egg size, personality or temperament?

Hello! Isabella Leghorns are extremely good egg layers, they can lay up to 300+ eggs per year. The size of the egg is quite large, and a pretty white color. However, Brown Leghorns eggs can be even larger. They can lay up to 320+ eggs per year. Brown Leghorns are generally friendly, though they can be loud and a bit aggressive at times. Isabella leghorns are also generally friendly, but not the friendliest. They can be trained at a young age through treats! Both leghorn breeds eat about 1.75 lbs. per week. They are very efficient and don’t need as much food. Both breeds are great, and quite similar. Brown leghorns are more of a rare variety, and Isabella Leghorns are a very pretty variety, also new and rare!

Hello! Isabella Leghorns are extremely good egg layers, they can lay up to 300+ eggs per year. The size of the egg is quite large, and a pretty white color. However, Brown Leghorns eggs can be even larger. They can lay up to 320+ eggs per year. Brown Leghorns are generally friendly, though they can be loud and a bit aggressive at times. Isabella leghorns are also generally friendly, but not the friendliest. They can be trained at a young age through treats! Both leghorn breeds eat about 1.75 lbs. per week. They are very efficient and don’t need as much food. Both breeds are great, and quite similar. Brown leghorns are more of a rare variety, and Isabella Leghorns are a very pretty variety, also new and rare!
Wow. Thanks a bunch.
Does either variety forage better than the other?

Since both chickens are quite similar, they both forage just as much. Though depending on different personalities od the ones you may get, that may change how much they forage. Leghorns, both colors, are well known and are one of America’s favorite breeds. They are extremely active, good egg layers, and will basically always be scratching around for anything. They are very efficient as well. If I were you, I would pick the Brown Leghorns. They can lay larger eggs, and sometimes more per year. But yes, they are both AMAZING foragers! Part of why they don’t need as much feed, they can find lots of food for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom