BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larvae)

Hello again!

I'm raising mealworms instead. The darkling beetles can't fly at all. I haven't harvested the new larvae yet as I want the colony to grow larger before I start removing them. All the larvae from my original purchase have morphed into beatles now and I have the next generation coming strong.

It's pretty darn easy so far. I just add carrots or zucchini or any other veggie I have on hand about every 2 or 3 days. The bedding I use is a mixture of whole wheat flour, dehydrated milk and a little wheat germ. I just remove the moldy pieces of veggies (I keep them up on upside down egg cartons or pieces of cardboard tubing cut in half from paper towel rolls to keep the moist veggies out of the bedding.) Most of the veggies get fully consumed by the beatles and larvae.

I am also raising mealworms and am also at the darkling stage. Mine have oats and chicken feed as their substrate and I use a potato or apple for moisture. They eat everything but the skins.
I haven't seen any new mealworms yet but I expect them soon. My set up is very low key- 10 gallon tank with a screen top. I will have to see how effective it is once I do get more mealies. I started with 1000.
The BSFL interest me because of their super high protein levels for use in homemade pelletized feed.

I'm raising them, chickens go crazy for them. I can't grow enough and I'm looking to expand my operation.

The option I went with was a little expensive, but foolproof and pretty instantly gratifying. I got a biopod and ordered small and big larvae from a nearby breeder. Very expensive for what it is, since it's only about as much material as a basic rubbermaid bin.

I'm looking into increasing the size of everything because this system simply does not output close to enough grubs for the chickens appetite. I have dozens of birds. I think a biopod would be fine for around 3-5 birds if you could keep it going.

I have yet to go through a winter so I'm unsure if they'll stay alive and feeding.

I'm raising them, chickens go crazy for them. I can't grow enough and I'm looking to expand my operation.

The option I went with was a little expensive, but foolproof and pretty instantly gratifying. I got a biopod and ordered small and big larvae from a nearby breeder. Very expensive for what it is, since it's only about as much material as a basic rubbermaid bin.

I'm looking into increasing the size of everything because this syss tem simply does not output close to enough grubs for the chickens appetite. I have dozens of birds. I think a biopod would be fine for around 3-5 birds if you could keep it going.

I have yet to go through a winter so I'm unsure if they'll stay alive and feeding.
You still active? Still have BSFL? Yah the BioPod is expensive but well researched and therefore well designed. I think they estimate 1 BioPod will feed 5-7 chickens as a staple part of their diet. They have huge open bins that are made for those with bigger flocks. I am still going with DIY versions but the BioPod sure seems like a great option. In the long run I suppose the cost is soon covered in reduction of feed costs. I may consider it for the future.

I have a colony and its doing ok for the cool weather we are having . My biggest problem is having a steady stream of food waist . with just us two in the house we don't have a lot of leftovers . I am going to make a duckweed pond soon . It's suppose to be great for bsfl and chickens as fodder . also it double every two or 3 day if condition are right . to feed 4 or five chickens you need few pounds of food wait daily
Pete

My BSFL are doing ok overall but has obviously gone anaerobic a few times, starts to get really smelly, it is too wet and clumps form.

Another big mistake I made early on, which I am paying for now with odor etc...is feeding them stuff I didn't know they couldn't digest such as paper towels, egg cartons and newsprint. Now that I know it I can avoid that error in the future. This also has contributed greatly to the stink factor since it contributes to the clumps and can't be broken down. I spent hours yesterday sorting thru the bins getting larvae out of the media, putting that for compost and rinsing the worms (as I usually call them within our household) before putting them back into a bin. It is way better than it was but still needs more airflow I think. Trying to trouble shoot that. Still have about 1/4 of my supply that should be rinsed and such but I need a break from the stench. My kids keep saying just kill them....hahaha, yah right, I'm not giving up that easy.

I have a colony and its doing ok for the cool weather we are having . My biggest problem is having a steady stream of food waist . with just us two in the house we don't have a lot of leftovers . I am going to make a duckweed pond soon . It's suppose to be great for bsfl and chickens as fodder . also it double every two or 3 day if condition are right . to feed 4 or five chickens you need few pounds of food wait daily
Pete

I know some people get food waste from local co-ops, coffee shops, breweries and such in order to keep their colony of BSFL properly fed and happy.

Just wading through my first round, of having a large sized colony, waiting to see if I get any eggs from the adults, and whether or not I will be able to use or sell off the supply we have now, before going that far into it myself.

My BSFL are doing ok overall but has obviously gone anaerobic a few times, starts to get really smelly, it is too wet and clumps form.

Another big mistake I made early on, which I am paying for now with odor etc...is feeding them stuff I didn't know they couldn't digest such as paper towels, egg cartons and newsprint. Now that I know it I can avoid that error in the future. This also has contributed greatly to the stink factor since it contributes to the clumps and can't be broken down. I spent hours yesterday sorting thru the bins getting larvae out of the media, putting that for compost and rinsing the worms (as I usually call them within our household) before putting them back into a bin. It is way better than it was but still needs more airflow I think. Trying to trouble shoot that. Still have about 1/4 of my supply that should be rinsed and such but I need a break from the stench. My kids keep saying just kill them....hahaha, yah right, I'm not giving up that easy.for moisture control you can add dry stores like stale cereal I put hard ware cloth over a bin and scoop the waist over it and the larva fall into the bin

Back
Top Bottom